• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Standard upgrades

chicklin

I've read about a lot of upgrades guys have done to their trucks. I was wondering if there were a set of "standard" upgrades that people do to their trucks? Things like coolant filters, spin-on or remote oil filters, spin-on fuel filter(s). Anything that would extend the life of the truck or make it safer.

So, what are the most common (and relatively inexpensive) upgrades you guys have done?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
One of the best in my mind was swapping out to charter bus seats. I have driven to Aberdeen and never got sore, just got back from Atlanta, and will never do that in a stock seat again. A pre-lube pump would be a good idea too.

chicklin

OD_Coyote said:
-Spin on oil filters
-Spin on primary fuel filter
-Front locking hubs
-Remote resevoir for the brake master cylinder.
Those all sound pretty good. The hubs are pretty expensive, though. As mentioned, the pre-lube system would be good, too. Any others?

nickd

electric windshield wipers, singel pin style nato receptacle, change out the air lines to the plastic lines, air tank drains with the remote cable release, rear mounted spot light for nightime back up illumination, master electrical switch lock out, fuel tank locking device , west coast mirrors, arctic kit shifter and hi/low transfer case boots to minimize drafts, plastic battery tray, air assist "power steering", super single tires with hub flip, fiber glass troop seats and headache rack, robo tool kit with the gear reduction unit (thanks Mark!), air ride seat(s), intercom system, interior cab dome light, front bumper steps, tow bar mounting in the bed or on the front bumper, wrecker spade pockets for the winch trucks, convoy lights, gun ring, interior gun racks, low air pressure warning light, heater kit, spin on secondary fuelfilters (hurry up! JT), add a winch.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add to the above deuce mods, alcohol evaporator, pressurized axle housings, crankcase breather filter, separate airpak breather from MC and tank vents, pyro, boost gauge..... The most useful mod I ever made was to add the K-boom, of course.

Or you can find a '69 m656/xm757 8x8 which come standard with most of that and more. :)
One feature I like is that all engine related filters are serviceable from above, just unscrew the lid and drop in a new element, no loss of fuel/oil, no mess and the element can be inspected for potential problems. The primary fuel filter/water separators are the scraper types and never need replacement.

sprucemt

Though I concur with all, I think Nickd's concept of adding a "wench" would be the utmost of importance. Having a "wench" of that caliber would make all the other upgrades much more tolerable to purchase and install.

chicklin

nickd said:
electric windshield wipers, singel pin style nato receptacle, change out the air lines to the plastic lines, air tank drains with the remote cable release, rear mounted spot light for nightime back up illumination, master electrical switch lock out, fuel tank locking device , west coast mirrors, arctic kit shifter and hi/low transfer case boots to minimize drafts, plastic battery tray, air assist "power steering", super single tires with hub flip, fiber glass troop seats and headache rack, robo tool kit with the gear reduction unit (thanks Mark!), air ride seat(s), intercom system, interior cab dome light, front bumper steps, tow bar mounting in the bed or on the front bumper, wrecker spade pockets for the winch trucks, convoy lights, gun ring, interior gun racks, low air pressure warning light, heater kit, spin on secondary fuelfilters (hurry up! JT), add a winch.
That's an interesting place to mount your wench.

nickd

Don,
That was a once in a life time event on the hood of my truck at the USMC birthday bash iin philly in 06. Unfortunatly I took the picture, those are not my legs! I wish I knew how to operate the video portion of the new camera at the time because the lap dance was quite spetacular as she was holding on to the muzzle of the 50 for support! I hope she is there this year on November the 10th for a repeat performance so I can get some video!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the wench is mounted on him, not the other way around.

Is the wench powered by the drive-shaft, or is it hydraulically operated? Or a little of both?

Thanks, ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all week. Be sure and tip your waitresses....

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have to say auto transmission...

No, just kidding, wanted to get Clinto's blood pressure up :twisted:

I like the air hose reel as well. Duel brake system. air AND electric horn. My air horn stopped working once, right when I needed it to warn some tiny car that pulled out right in front of me. I'm going to add an electric horn with a backup switch.

Other than that, maybe duel spring ride seats? (if that hasn't been recommended.)

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cost of a "winch" installation after the fact is somewhere between $500 and $2500 depending on how long you want to wait for bargains to pop up.
The other wench, I believe has some to do with the bull gear and heifer shaft.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks