• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

StarLink In Motion

Guyfang

Staff member
I always thought this might be possible. Its just like sat systems, for TV. Lots of times we could not get a dish compleatly in the open. Still, we had good reception. Why should the Starlink receiver, (Dish) be any different? There may be a little degraded signal reception, but I do not believe that will be insurmountable. I am NOT a EE. I just know what worked in the field. This should prove interesting!

Third From Texas

well this is interesting. Apologize that many won't be able to see this discussion for it is in facebook in a group you may not be a member of.

Synopsis is.... a fellow redid his starlink to mount on pedestals on his hood LAYING FLAT. He is finding that in general he has full time use of it. He intends to do a video on it and it will appear on below channel.

Tried to join that group with a burner account.

/crickets for days

Third From Texas

can't help you on that one. Am not a mod or admin for that group
Why don't you just steal the pics and copy/paste what was said.

I applied to that group again and still crickets.

Not your fault, but that **** p**** me off. Even FB users (the weakest minds in social media) can't gain access due to slacker mods/admins.

What a lame excuse for a group.

Please feel free to tell them I said as much....

;p

Last edited:

coachgeo

Why don't you just steal the pics and copy/paste what was said.

I applied to that group again and still crickets.

Not your fault, but that **** p**** me off. Even FB users (the weakest minds in social media) can't gain access due to slacker mods/admins.

What a lame excuse for a group.

Please feel free to tell them I said as much....

;p
Stan JeepNtreetopSolar Powered RV's and Boondocking

sSdortenopm7 o9tt43ha u9Mme6N1v1A1c70u1htemb thrh9:2ua2529t ·

New addition to the kit!
I hacked my Starlink satellite dish and “temporarily” suction cup mounted it to the hood, it will be mounted in the back on top of my cargo box eventually (but it works fantastic wear it’s at currently)
Full time satellite Wi-Fi, even when I’m in motion at highway speeds.
Allows me to keep my maps updated in real time in Gaia , upload/download my YT videos , make phone calls over the internet (so doubles at satellite phone) and the router is strong and allows me to connect to it up to 100 feet away from the Jeep! Possibilities are endless for mobile living!
YT video coming shortly, just have to edit it! Unfortunately I failed to get some “before” pics/video for the YouTube so I’m trying to source a local person to help me out with that but the video will be posted shortly.
Subscribe to my YT so you don’t miss it.
https://youtube.com/channel/UCKrGK0RAtJ1pjNyqs9IMmvQ
Screenshot from 2022-11-11 22-09-03.pngScreenshot from 2022-11-11 22-10-41.png

coachgeo

The discussion thus far.... Discussions dont copy paste well. Edited this in a text editor very ruffly

Jesse Felker
This is the $2500 unit?

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Jesse Felker no this is the regular dish that I cut the motor off and installed it into a new polycarbonate enclosure.

Chris Boyle
Stan JeepNtreetop I’m suprised it works without being able to position itself

Earl Gilbert
Chris Boyle beam forming technology. It works just fine without positioning itself. It makes me wonder why the fragile motors were even included at all

Jesse Felker
Earl Gilbert maybe starlink 2.0 will make a difference in hardware requirements

Chris Boyle
Earl Gilbert it probably depends where you are in the world and potentially may be losing optimal speed by not having the motor. I seen pictures of some set ups and the dish is angled pretty far. now realistically from the speeds I seen, you could live… See more

Earl Gilbert
Chris Boyle people who have disabled the motors and moubted them flat have noticed no discernable speed differences. Marcus Tuck has traveled from Mexico to Canada with a flat mounted Dishy. No issues.

Chris Boyle
Earl Gilbert that’s very interesting. Good to hear

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
From the research I’ve done, they say there is about a 10-15% reduction in speed (in some areas). My speed tests are consistently above 70Mbs now, so if I had been getting 80 before and 70 now that difference doesn’t affect me (or shouldn’t affect most… See more

Dale Dunn
I thought In Motion was disabled? What service plan do you have?

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Dale Dunn I have the RV plan and they turned the in motion back on. When they do turn it off it doesn’t disable your unit it simply goes offline but currently it is working fine while in motion.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Dale Dunn
May be an image of text that says '12:30 IN-MOTION USE The new Flat High Performance Starlink allows users to enjoy high-speed, low-latency internet while in-motion. With wide field of view and enhanced GPS capabilities the Flat High Performance Starlink can connect to more satellites, allowing for consistent connectivity on the go. The hardware IS designed for permanent installation on your vehicle and is resilient in harsh environments. Currently available for order and use in select markets.'

Luis Ofray
How much

Brett Heiser
How will it track now, i have feeling you will regret this decision

Aaron Hayes
Brett Heiser something tells me if it doesn’t work, he can fix it

Brett Heiser
Aaron Hayes okay

Jordon Rustad
Brett Heiser he already told you it works great...

Brett Heiser
Jordon Rustad for now

Jordon Rustad
Brett Heiser yeah, it'll work even better when there's more satellites
Great point.

Brett Heiser
Jordon Rustad okay

Anthony Martinez
Brett Heiser off-road teams have been doing this since they came out and work just as good. Ppl did tests on them and preformed just as good

Brett Heiser
Anthony Martinez okay

Mark Spreadborough
Very cool. I’ve been following the flat mount hacks and progress. What a cool time to be alive!

Jordon Rustad
What I should have done but I was too scared to cut into it

John Joseph Fernandes
Antenna Accessories

Jason Matheney

Chris Prenovost
Jason Matheney hot spots rely on the cell network so have limited coverage. And they're sloooooowww
Reply2d

Jason Matheney you obviously are not a nomad. Even if we have service out in the boonies it's often poor and slow or roaming so you get depriotized to unusability. We have Verizon and at$t sims. Starlink is better 90% of the time

Nick Altvater
Jason Matheney hot spots are plentiful in the middle of a desert, but none give internet

Ryan Hoover
LOL, somebody has never been outta the city limits.....😁✌

Jason Matheney
Ryan Hoover or in the woods apparently
Reply2d

Konrad Noworyta
Let's see how Starlink likes these hacks, especially now that they're offering ( expensive) on-the-move plans. Great excuse for them to increase prices and / or limit bandwidth and speed for regular RV plan subscribers. Thank you, sir, for the great favor you're doing us.

Anthony Martinez
Konrad Noworyta ppl were doing this long before they came out with the new satellite. There just limiting when it senses going over 15 mph

Scott Adams
Anthony Martinez actually it was 10mph. Latest revision cuts out around 78mph.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Konrad Noworyta I have a RV plan that specifically allows for in-motion use so I pay just like every other guy. I simply mounted my dish differently. Enjoy your day.

Konrad Noworyta
Stan JeepNtreetop Thank you.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Konrad Noworyta 🍻

Konrad Noworyta
Stan JeepNtreetop 🍻of course 😁

Thomas Henderson
Is that the star-mount systems enclosure? how do you like it so far? is that the suction cup upgrade? does it hold well? I am looking at doing the mod soon as well.

Greg Butler
Bruce Wedeking

Paul Giese
Cool!

Stacy Lynn
Looks like you took advantage of
Brandon Walsh’s genius by buying his casing? He does good work!

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Stacy Lynn yes he does. I had him do the install as well! Video posting soon.

Justin Aaron
Hacked?

Mike Martucci
Now please take a rf reading of exposure while in your jeep. Love this idea but close proximity can be at very high levels.

Ziff Rus
I used the rectangle satellite on a sailboat and the connectivity was not acceptable for steady zoom streaming.

Jordon Rustad
Ziff Rus get the new RV version it has better beam

Ziff Rus
Jordon Rustad yep. It just arrived. Installation is next. Need to figure out best way to install for portability on the boat.

Peter Olsson
Robert

Dale Gibson
Dianna
Reply19h

Third From Texas

The discussion thus far.... Discussions dont copy paste well. Edited this in a text editor very ruffly

Jesse Felker
This is the $2500 unit?

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Jesse Felker no this is the regular dish that I cut the motor off and installed it into a new polycarbonate enclosure.

Chris Boyle
Stan JeepNtreetop I’m suprised it works without being able to position itself

Earl Gilbert
Chris Boyle beam forming technology. It works just fine without positioning itself. It makes me wonder why the fragile motors were even included at all

Jesse Felker
Earl Gilbert maybe starlink 2.0 will make a difference in hardware requirements

Chris Boyle
Earl Gilbert it probably depends where you are in the world and potentially may be losing optimal speed by not having the motor. I seen pictures of some set ups and the dish is angled pretty far. now realistically from the speeds I seen, you could live… See more

Earl Gilbert
Chris Boyle people who have disabled the motors and moubted them flat have noticed no discernable speed differences. Marcus Tuck has traveled from Mexico to Canada with a flat mounted Dishy. No issues.

Chris Boyle
Earl Gilbert that’s very interesting. Good to hear

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
From the research I’ve done, they say there is about a 10-15% reduction in speed (in some areas). My speed tests are consistently above 70Mbs now, so if I had been getting 80 before and 70 now that difference doesn’t affect me (or shouldn’t affect most… See more

Dale Dunn
I thought In Motion was disabled? What service plan do you have?

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Dale Dunn I have the RV plan and they turned the in motion back on. When they do turn it off it doesn’t disable your unit it simply goes offline but currently it is working fine while in motion.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Dale Dunn
May be an image of text that says '12:30 IN-MOTION USE The new Flat High Performance Starlink allows users to enjoy high-speed, low-latency internet while in-motion. With wide field of view and enhanced GPS capabilities the Flat High Performance Starlink can connect to more satellites, allowing for consistent connectivity on the go. The hardware IS designed for permanent installation on your vehicle and is resilient in harsh environments. Currently available for order and use in select markets.'

Luis Ofray
How much

Brett Heiser
How will it track now, i have feeling you will regret this decision

Aaron Hayes
Brett Heiser something tells me if it doesn’t work, he can fix it

Brett Heiser
Aaron Hayes okay

Jordon Rustad
Brett Heiser he already told you it works great...

Brett Heiser
Jordon Rustad for now

Jordon Rustad
Brett Heiser yeah, it'll work even better when there's more satellites
Great point.

Brett Heiser
Jordon Rustad okay

Anthony Martinez
Brett Heiser off-road teams have been doing this since they came out and work just as good. Ppl did tests on them and preformed just as good

Brett Heiser
Anthony Martinez okay

Mark Spreadborough
Very cool. I’ve been following the flat mount hacks and progress. What a cool time to be alive!

Jordon Rustad
What I should have done but I was too scared to cut into it

John Joseph Fernandes
Antenna Accessories

Jason Matheney

Chris Prenovost
Jason Matheney hot spots rely on the cell network so have limited coverage. And they're sloooooowww
Reply2d

Jason Matheney you obviously are not a nomad. Even if we have service out in the boonies it's often poor and slow or roaming so you get depriotized to unusability. We have Verizon and at$t sims. Starlink is better 90% of the time

Nick Altvater
Jason Matheney hot spots are plentiful in the middle of a desert, but none give internet

Ryan Hoover
LOL, somebody has never been outta the city limits.....😁✌

Jason Matheney
Ryan Hoover or in the woods apparently
Reply2d

Konrad Noworyta
Let's see how Starlink likes these hacks, especially now that they're offering ( expensive) on-the-move plans. Great excuse for them to increase prices and / or limit bandwidth and speed for regular RV plan subscribers. Thank you, sir, for the great favor you're doing us.

Anthony Martinez
Konrad Noworyta ppl were doing this long before they came out with the new satellite. There just limiting when it senses going over 15 mph

Scott Adams
Anthony Martinez actually it was 10mph. Latest revision cuts out around 78mph.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Konrad Noworyta I have a RV plan that specifically allows for in-motion use so I pay just like every other guy. I simply mounted my dish differently. Enjoy your day.

Konrad Noworyta
Stan JeepNtreetop Thank you.

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Konrad Noworyta 🍻

Konrad Noworyta
Stan JeepNtreetop 🍻of course 😁

Thomas Henderson
Is that the star-mount systems enclosure? how do you like it so far? is that the suction cup upgrade? does it hold well? I am looking at doing the mod soon as well.

Greg Butler
Bruce Wedeking

Paul Giese
Cool!

Stacy Lynn
Looks like you took advantage of
Brandon Walsh’s genius by buying his casing? He does good work!

Stan JeepNtreetop
Author
Stacy Lynn yes he does. I had him do the install as well! Video posting soon.

Justin Aaron
Hacked?

Mike Martucci
Now please take a rf reading of exposure while in your jeep. Love this idea but close proximity can be at very high levels.

Ziff Rus
I used the rectangle satellite on a sailboat and the connectivity was not acceptable for steady zoom streaming.

Jordon Rustad
Ziff Rus get the new RV version it has better beam

Ziff Rus
Jordon Rustad yep. It just arrived. Installation is next. Need to figure out best way to install for portability on the boat.

Peter Olsson
Robert

Dale Gibson
Dianna
Reply19h
Awesome !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks