• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start mep-002 on 12v?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I heard the 3KV sets will start off 12v, will the 002 also? Just a random question I had while planning the spin on fuel filter conversion tomorrow.

derf

I dunno if I would do either unless it was a dire emergency. Diesels take a lot of power to start. Putting 12V through a 24V system will strain something.

Josh

I had one of the batteries in my deuce go bad on a trip, Like only put out 2 volts bad. If a single battery could spin over and start my deuce on a cold morning, I don't see why it couldn't spin over a genset.

The real question is why do you want to start it on 12v?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I had one of the batteries in my deuce go bad on a trip, Like only put out 2 volts bad. If a single battery could spin over and start my deuce on a cold morning, I don't see why it couldn't spin over a genset.

The real question is why do you want to start it on 12v?
The real answer is I do not want to go to town today to find some batteries :) I have a pair of 75AH flooded batteries but they aren't the correct size. :) * Busted

derf

At 1/2 Voltage things might try to draw 2X the normal amps. Then, when it does start it will try and charge a 12V battery with about 28V.
It is best to stick with designed parameters and make sure if you have two batteries in series (or parallel) that the two batteries are the same.
Military stuff is often over engineered such that you can get away with some things sometimes but that does not make those things good practice.
It may be a good idea to know if it will work or not in case of emergency.
But, if done just for convenience then there are many things that can go wrong.

ETN550

Starters are series wound motors. They are not that sensetive to the input voltage. 24VDC starter on 12VDC will be less torque. If it spins it fast enough to start and overcomes the compression then no problem. On the small Yanmars the decompression must be used which allows the starter to build up some rpm before the first comrpression stroke comes along.

Other 002a problems might be the rest of the 24VDC electronics such as the fuel pump and a shutdown solenoid which must be functioning before cranking.

However in an emergency the fuel rack can be held open and the starter shorted directly so as long as the fuel pump pushes fuel it would start.

As soon as it runs it will make 24+ VDC. Then the question becomes can it run without a battery attached? The 5kw 802A will, the manual says it is ok to do a start with no batteries using the slave and then disconnecting the slave once running. Not sure if the 002 will accept this tratment.

The bigger the set with more electronics the compilcated the question gets.

BIG_RED

If you have two good 12 volt batteries, grab some heavy gauge wire or booster cables and extend the wiring on the gen-set to the two external batteries. I've done that on vehicles when all I have are huge truck batteries and I have to start up a small car. Cover all your connections in TONS of electrical tape and don't disconnect the batteries with it running unless you make sure you can. This will fry some gen-sets low voltage components. I'm not sure about yours.

coyote62ny

first thing you will burn up is the dc 24 volt regulator 150 to 200 to replace . second you will most likly fry the dc stator another 150 to 200 to replace. third if you cook the starter that will set you back 200 to 500 to replace . forth is the fuel pumps i have never bought one but being 24 volt and military they would most likly cost 50 to 100 each and you have 3 to replace. these gen sets do not like to run with low battery voltage the electronics are very touchey . just save your self a lot of trouble and cost and make a trip to town and get two batteries that are the same cranking amps and make and out side deminsions .

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
... THREE fuel pumps? I have looked all over mine and I only see 2 bendix fuel pumps down by the fuel filter assemblies. Where is the third one?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
On a mep-002? Yes yes I am new to this so you are likely laughing :) have a picture of this ones placement? I just went out and took a pic of the fuel pump area (never mind the fuel tank/line missing (off for cleaning). Thank you.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Where is the 3rd fuel pump? have I been robbed??? :)

Fuel is supplied either from this unit's selfcontained fuel tank or, by using an adapter, directly from a 55 gallon drum or other source. The fuel is filtered by two cartridge type fuel filters and a single fuel strainer. Two electric, self-priming fuel pumps pump fuel to the fuel injection pump which delivers the fuel at high pressure to fuel injection nozzles in the cylinder head. When auxiliary source of fuel is used, three electric fuel pumps are Used.

Last edited:

derf

They may have DRMO's the unit because someone took a fuel pump off. You can run without it. Or, you can spend $$ and get a replacement. There are usually a few 002s and 003s being parted by someone.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Happen to have a picture of where this 3rd one mounts and what the mount looks like? Thank you.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It mounts right behind the auxiliary fuel pump, the same 2 bolts bolt both pumps on. The Aux pump it the one with the big solenoid on top of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks