• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start Up Noise - swarming bees

biped

What is that noise I get when I start my 6.2? I tell my friends the oil hasn't gotten to the top of the motor yet. It can last for 30 seconds or more, typically when motor has been shut off for a while. There is a technical answer and I'd like to know more. I don't hear it in other diesel motors....but then I haven't really been listening.

cucvrus

Air filter housing resonating due to high idle activated?
Yes that would be my guess also. The air cleaner lid may be loose. Many times the air cleaner suds are stripped and the nut can be stripped also. they tighten so far and then pop. Or the bottom part of the housing is cracked and making a vibrating sound. Also the vacuum pump could be touching the air cleaner or firewall. Sounds like a simple remedy to the problem. Merry Christmas.

biped

I should have said it better at the beginning. The "swarming bees" sound only occurs when I start moving. I don't get the noise from idle. It goes away after 1/10th of a mile or so. I had air cleaner noise early in my history with the CUCV. There is a gasket that goes between carburetor and air cleaner. I changed it out and keep the wing nuts on top tight. This noise "the bees" only happens at beginning of the driving experience. If I would let it idle for 3/5 minutes, it wouldn't make any noise when I drive off.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have said it better at the beginning. The "swarming bees" sound only occurs when I start moving. I don't get the noise from idle. It goes away after 1/10th of a mile or so. I had air cleaner noise early in my history with the CUCV. There is a gasket that goes between carburetor and air cleaner. I changed it out and keep the wing nuts on top tight. This noise "the bees" only happens at beginning of the driving experience. If I would let it idle for 3/5 minutes, it wouldn't make any noise when I drive off.
6.2's don't have carburators . :shock:

CUCVLOVER

Okay, it's that big hole underneath the air cleaner.
That would be your intake manifold.
The injection pump sets directly in front of that and has lines going to each injector to feed fuel.IMG_20160525_164419575.jpg
The intake manifold is removed from this particular engine being at the time of taking said picture I was reinstalling the pump after a rebuild for a friend.

Barrman

Watch your speedometer needle when you start moving. See if the noise and the needle movement is in synch. The speedometer head tends to make noises if it hasn't had attention in a few decades.

Grega

My m1009 makes the sound of buzzing bees after starting. I grab the air cleaner housing and it goes away, even though everything is tight. The noise goes away after the engine warm up enough to kick the high idle solenoid off

biped

Thanks to everybody for your input. I've been experimenting. The angry bees sound occurs when the motor is first started. It won't occur at idle, only when you apply pedal as in driving off or revving the motor in park. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything and it goes away within 5 to 15 seconds.

cucvrus

Check the gas pedal bracket. Up under the dash. I remember this sound. I removed the gas pedal and cleaned and greased the pivot point real well and the sound went away. it was a crazy sound. i just remembered it when i was looking at your thread. Try that and report back. 3 -10mm drive lags hold the gas pedal to the firewall. And the shaft was bone dry. Check it out. Happy New Year.

Katavic918

My 6.2 sounds like crap on startup for about 15 sec as oil pressure builds. It then sounds a little less like crap. After a 3 minute warm up I take off and it sounds like crap again. I can't recall what I would call the noise but it's enough for me to take it very easy on it til it warms up some. Next time I drive it I'll see if I can relate "buzzing bees" to it. The 6.2 is a noisy motor. I was worried about mine in the beginning, but from what I've read, most of the horrible noises they make is normal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks