• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start up problem

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way is to check the fuel control before starting any unknown motor. There should be a fuel control check of any motor maybe twice a year just to check for any sticking. The next best way is to have a electric fuel shut off wired into the master. These two will keep your shorts clean and keep your donkey from smelling like crap. Why even go into panic mode trying to shut down anything but the fuel if your too lazy to take off two screws.

ajbird

Well I got to mess with this the last two days heres what Ive found...11 gallons drained from the crank case..(noticed no metal in the buckets bottom after letting it sit for a few hours) refilled with oil..changed every filter on the truck also...I also removed the rod located behind the cover, it was not moving freely ...still waiting on the O ring set for the head...I did try to crank the truck over more than a few times with no luck starting it...there appears to be fuel at the injectors. Im not sure how fast the fuel is supposed to come out a cracked open line at the injector but it was dripping on at least two randomly chosen injectors, I completely removed the air filter for testing...also I did as far as I know purge the air from the system at least its looking like old faithful at the air purge valve. Any help with me getting this thing going id appreciate I've got code enforcement riding my ass to get rid of it because it doesn't run (even tho its totally legal and on my own property)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel control has to move free to operate the truck. To start the truck the fuel control has to be as far forward or the 7 O'clock position before it will start. This is wide open and when it starts the governor pulls it back to idle or 5 O'clock. If the fuel control is sticky but not frozen you can use you finger and push the rod/fuel control forwards and have someone else crank the engine then if it starts you have to move the fuel control real fast back to idle or backwards. I don't like telling anyone to do this because any sticking of the fuel control is a bad thing and you would not want to operate the truck on the road.

Last edited:

ajbird

So I'm going to assume that if at least the two larger orings on the pumps head are shot and they were...that the fuel leaking into the crank case could prevent it from running because the fuel meant for the injectors is actually leaking into the crank? 11 gallons was more than alot...but then again in not sure how long it had been leaking down there.....but hey I can report that anything over 11 gallons will cause runaway lol

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I'm going to assume that if at least the two larger orings on the pumps head are shot and they were...that the fuel leaking into the crank case could prevent it from running because the fuel meant for the injectors is actually leaking into the crank? 11 gallons was more than alot...but then again in not sure how long it had been leaking down there.....but hey I can report that anything over 11 gallons will cause runaway lol
My bet you booster pump on the side of the IP is the leak.

ajbird

still wont start...quick question tho, someone did the fdc bypass and left the smaller hose from the over flow tee to the fdc hooked up..I'm going to make it right today but what if any problems would only doing half the job cause?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks