• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started my brake job on the deuce.

63 Tango

Since it's new to me, and I don't have any brakes now. I am going thru the whole brake system. Got the master cylinder and airpack off last week. Finally got around to taking them apart today. The master cylinder is in real good shape. The piston's front rubber seal was dry with a little bit of grit around it. The cup seal was still very pliable and holding back the little bit of brake fluid. The master cylinder bore was mostly clean without any pitting. Just a small area of dry grit where the front seal was resting. A quick pass with a hone will clean up the bore like brand new. The reservoir is clean with no rust in it either.
The airpack looks ok, but not as good as the master cylinder. The air cylinder had a little grit and about 3 or 4 ounces of brake fluid in it. The air piston had a decent rubber seal on it, but the seal had several scratches on it from the grit. No pitting in the air cylinder either. It will clean up nicely with a hone. As for the fluid side of the airpack, no pitting in the bore. The rubber piston cups were still soft, but had several scratches on them too. Everything was kinda stuck in place, but with a little pushing and pulling it all came apart without having to beat on anything with a hammer!

That's as far as I have got so far. I did purchase an air over hydraulic 12 ton jack from Harbor Freight. And some 6x6 and 4x6 boards for cribbing. Going to use my motorcycle jack on the deuce's wheels when the time comes for the wheel cylinders.

Now I need to order a rebuild kit for the airpack and master cylinder.

More to come in the next few days. Will keep y'all posted as I progress on this endeavor.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks, I got the long airpack. Already been looking online. Is any one vendor's product better quality than the others? Or do all the kits come from the same manufacture?
Usually nos parts. Some may have newer kits by "new star" but some question their quality. You might ask if the kit has an nsn printed on it to verify its origins.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchased a set of brake shoes that were mfg. by "new star" and I found a .020 gap under the toe of the lining on both shoes, and the gap ran back to the first set of rivets. Not a quality product.

63 Tango

Took the rest of the airpack apart tonight. The valving part, I guess you would call it the regulator part of it. Super clean! no rust or dirt or brake fluid!

63 Tango

Here's a couple pics of the airpack before I did any cleaning up. As you can see, the dirtiest part is a small section of the piston and seal.

I'm sure a lot of the hydraulics are probably good, but since the deuce is new to me, I am going thru the complete hydraulic brake system for "peace of mind" since I bought the deuce without any brakes.

20160509_203014.jpg20160509_203047.jpg