• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started my dump conversion

Avn-Tech

M16TY,

I was looking at making my Deuce into a dump bed also. After reading several of the post here on SS, I was tryig to figure out how to tilt the bed, and keep the stock parts (pintel/Bumperets). I had an idea that I could slide the bed back about 1-2' then tilt it (like a tow truck does with the tray.

Currently I have scraped the idea of making my truck into a dump truck. since last week I purchased a complete dump truck ($500.00). So if it all runs good or needs very little work, I will keep it. If not I will use the components to make my Deuce into a dump truck.

Laterrrrrr
Avn-Tech

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the bed back on the truck today. Still have the pumbing to do but I got to see the bed raise with the help of my tractor hyd.

As you can see in the pics above, I added some 2X2X1/4 square tube to the bottom of the bed rails. The bed is sitting about 1 1/2" taller than stock. Gringeltaube said this extra space was needed for the hinge design but I also needed it for hoist clearance. It should strengthen the bed considerably also. Even then I still had to notch two bed crossmembers (as bad as I hated to). I boxed the cut crossmembers with some 4" channel so it should still be more than strong enough in that area.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please let us know how well the air valve set up works. Ron
It works fine. The switch in the cab is three position ( in/lower, middle/hold, out/up). Basicly when you pull it all the way out it sends air pressure to the back side of the cylinder and pushes the valve in to raise. When in the middle position it exhaust the air from both of the lines going to the cylinder, and because the valve is spring centered, it returns the valve to center to stop all hyd oil flow to the hoist. When the switch is all the way in it sends air to the back side of the cylinder which pulls the valve out to lower the bed.

One minor problem I have with the setup is when the valve is in the "up" position is if you push the clutch in the oil will backfeed through the pump back into the tank and the bed will start comming down. A simple one way check valve in the valve supply line should solve the problem but I'll have to drain all my oil to install it. I may just run it like it is for the time being. I'll just have to remember to move the switch to the middle (hold) position before I push the clutch in with the bed raised.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some jobs waiting?

Rick
Not really. It's just been something I've been wanting to do for atleast a couple of years.

We were slow at my place of business last week so that's when most of the project got done. I did all the layout work and all the mechanical but one of my empoyees did 90% of the welding. He loves to weld and he's pretty good at it so I let him have at it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks