• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started on my M75 APC lastnite. Guess What

simoncrk

Well after 4 months of sittin at the back of the shop, i finally decided to start on the ole APC. After an hour of tryin to get the beast in my shop with the tractor, I finally got em in there. I started fiddlin around with the small things rusty screws and what not. and finally talked myself into pullin the power pack. HOLY CRAP!!!!! Thats a chore by yourself!!!!! I finally got the front armor off, that was heavy!! Then just as I was gettin close my overhead hoist quit. But I managed to slide the huge allison transmission and continental air cooled engine out with my M1009 locked in low range. After crawlin around and lookin over the huge tranny and engine I found that the cast iron oil pan on the engine has a HUGE CRACK down the side. Talk about disapointed....
Im wonderin what caused this? could it be over heated or a broken crank that busted it? Its gonna be challenge to get the oil pan off, if anybody has any suggestions it sure would help.......

Heres the Pics....aua

Attachments

Last edited:

David_4x4

Im pulling for you on your project and wish the best of luck to ya.

I helped restore an M113 that hadnt ran in probably 10 years and sat threw a hurricane. It took a year, I couldnt imagine doing your project.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find another motor. The 895 is not hard to come by. Red River Equipment used to have dozens in the can.

David_4x4

Well after seein that, it really put a halt on the project. Now Im wonderin how much it'll cost to finish it. :???:
I just noticed you're an hour and a half afrom my house. If you ever get a work weekend going and need some help Id be more than willing to come get dirty. Ive worked on plenty of MVs and somewhat skilled. Just let me know.

simoncrk

I just noticed you're an hour and a half afrom my house. If you ever get a work weekend going and need some help Id be more than willing to come get dirty. Ive worked on plenty of MVs and somewhat skilled. Just let me know.
OK thanks!!! Im gonna try to figure what caused the crack, with a pregnant wife im not sure when though. LOL Ill send you a PM when i do.
Thanks again
Daniel

deuceman51

I'm going to be doing the same thing with my M75, so i'm also watching closely. I do have a wrecker so that will help with the engine removal. I'm planning on stripping the entire APC down to the bare hull and restoring it from there. Needless to say it will be a few years before it would be done. Keep up the good work!!! Does anybody have the contact info for Red River Equipment???

if worst comes to worst you can weld that crack with supercast 8000 rods might cost as much for the rods as a new oil pan but it can be done quite easily.its what we use to weld cracks in oilpans on bush equipment.these rods have copper in them and remove the oil from the cast iron as you weld thats what the salesman told us, anyway they sure work good

Last edited:

charlietango

buddy of mine just did an M75
his engine would not run - was seized when he got it. the whole APC was swamped with water.
finally got the engine to move.. he tried and tried EVERYTHING to get that thing to fire. It was always just about to fire but wouldn't go. Brought an expert up from the states and housed him for a couple of days and still no luck. Found a new engine in a crate, threw it in, and it turned over right away and away he drove.

this is how it looked out of the shipping container Mark's Tank (apc) photo - D. MacRae photos at pbase.com
There is a video on my Youtube of it driving. cant seem to post it here but here is the link to my profile: Davin MacRae | Facebook

Davin MacRae | Facebook

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it turns out the engine is fine, but the cast iron pan is cracked for an unknown reason, either find a replacement, or (may be easier), fab up a sheet metal pan yourself with flat stock and a torch.

Great job, can't wait to see more pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks