• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

started to replace seals on the deuce

amaverick88

i started to replace the seals and to repack the bearing in the axles today. it wasnt as hard i thought it would be. the hardest part was trying to use the big boy muscles to man handle the brak drum off the axle without damaging the threads. once i took it all apart i found all sorts of junk and mud inside that shouldnt be in there. also found the brake pads themselves are eaten away all the way to the metal in some points.

Attachments

Tlauden

Wow there is alot of junk in there... After seein all the threads on this and hearing that apparently this isn't a hard job I might have to do it one of these days.... That being said, Keep the pics coming!!:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you opened it up not a day too soon. Wonder what the fronts look like.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thread! Keep the photos coming. Had you ever inspected your brakes before this?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Good job thinking to cover the end before pressure washing. Yeah those pads are shot, might have something to do with that little problem we had on the recovery.

Madfarmersson

Thinks for the Nice photos. I did the axel seals in my deuce last Tusday and Wednesday.
They are not to hard but Time consuming, I will see if I done it right when I drive it ha,ha.
looks like it is a good thing to know what your bearings and brakes look like.

Madfarmersson.

zout

That is a difference between the military preventative maintenance and units that are in civilians hands. Not saying this is your case so do not misunderstand this post.

Military had a designated PM schedule and it really covered everything you could think of if you have looked at the TM's.

In civilian hands - folks see what they could do - and go out and duplicate it - but they are not adapt in tearing them all down afterwards to cover what needs to be looked at - replaced - repaired - lubed. Kind of like Jeeps. Bury them in water and just keep running them without looking at them.

This is not every case - nor an indication what is or what someone is doing - but in some cases this is what happens and all of a sudden you become the owner and see & have to fix the results at your expense.

Great Pictures and now you know its not as bad as it appears on how to fix it right so you are safe.
Lifting those drums is the hardest - the rest is just time and labor.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soak those bearings in straight "SIMPLE GREEN" for about two days, then roll them about and see how much cleans up. Then wash off with diesel, let dry and inspect.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
That is a difference between the military preventative maintenance and units that are in civilians hands. Not saying this is your case so do not misunderstand this post.

Military had a designated PM schedule and it really covered everything you could think of if you have looked at the TM's.

In civilian hands - folks see what they could do - and go out and duplicate it - but they are not adapt in tearing them all down afterwards to cover what needs to be looked at - replaced - repaired - lubed. Kind of like Jeeps. Bury them in water and just keep running them without looking at them.

This is not every case - nor an indication what is or what someone is doing - but in some cases this is what happens and all of a sudden you become the owner and see & have to fix the results at your expense.

Great Pictures and now you know its not as bad as it appears on how to fix it right so you are safe.
Lifting those drums is the hardest - the rest is just time and labor.
And that is exactly what happened, he bought it from a guy who would take it mudding and then let it sit for months at a time before taking it mudding again. I'm making sure he goes through the entire truck and does what should have been done. BEFORE the Ga rally, get a move on alex!!!

ctmustang

Take it from me if one bearing looks that bad go ahead and replace the other one to. The last truck I recovered from GL looked pretty bad so every wheel bearing and seal was replaced just in time to travel to the GA rally in Oct.
Theres no better feeling than to know your equipment is in top notch shape each time you take it out.
CT

paulfarber

Lets see, seals are $50 an axle if you can get them that cheap. Bearings are about $100 each (x4). New brake pads are about what.. $50? $75?

You might want to buy a used axle and get good used parts... you might come out ahead.

amaverick88

seeing as i have an extra steering and non steering axle that i was going to use for another build. and since i was going to take those brakes off that will save me a little bit of money. i got all new seals so now i just have to get a few bearings.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd clean them up and see if the race/cup is pitted. You might be surprised. I had one that the race was pitted so I changed it.

I got my parts from OD Iron. The prices are good and they have everything you need.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one bearing is bad, you should replace both as a set. It would be just a matter of time before the other one went bad. I learned a good saying years ago. "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when are you going to have time to do it right the second time?". You don't want to have to replace that on the road.

ctmustang

Napa has the wheel bearings but you need to look for the ones made in the good ol USA. I,ve had a couple of the dang chinese bearings fail on me and NAPA has good prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks