• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started up fine...Surged...no go...:(

Asmoday

Help...Started up fine...Surged...no go...:(

Hello all,

I've been away from the forum for a while but...as usual once something happens that's not good with the M1009 I'm back...LOL.

I've been driving my M1009 regular for that last year and a half and it has been flawless. It fires up in the AM without hardly a crank. High idle works normally and then after the idle drops to normal off I go.

I started it up to leave work today and the following happened....

I turned the ignition on...waited for the glow plugs to cycle, wait light went out, cranked it and it fired right up.....It ran at high idle for about 15 seconds...then the rpm surged higher for about a second then the engine shut off....Done.

It will not start now. Not even a hiccup. It cranks normal, glow plugs cycle normally. It's not getting any fuel. I checked the pink wire and the voltage is good and the solenoid clicks as usual. I pulled the IP feed line off the fuel filter, cranked it and fuel shoots out.

What happened???

Everything seems to be correct. What am I missing.

I began looking at the TM's but are there any easier ways to check the IP without having to pull it off?

Thanks...!

Last edited:

Asmoday

***UPDATE***

So after have the truck flat-bedded home by the friendly AAA who said..."This thing is heavy"...I started going through the trouble shooting sections in the TM's and went out and checked a few things. During the course of checking to see whether fuel was present in the fuel return line, I started cranking it for about 10 seconds it started up and ran normal...??...! It was cold so high idle was on and then after a few minutes the idle dropped to normal. It idled perfect until I shut it off to change the fuel filter.

I don't know what the **** happened since this vehicle has never done such a thing since I purchased it but after reviewing the symptoms it's obvious that air got in the system. I have a feeling that it got in at the factory filter assembly somehow. After thinking back to past filter changes it acted just like when you start up after a filter change and there's air in the system.

I went ahead a put a new fuel filter on just in case since it was a couple years old and I run a Jet A mix in the truck. After bleeding the system it ran smooth as ever and I did not have any instances of quitting. It will need to sit overnight for the cold start test.

A question for those familiar with the factory Stanadyne fuel filter element. How much resistance should there be when you blow into the inlet checking for airflow through the filter?

I checked all the lines best I could and did not see any leaks. I'm not sure where the air got in but I feel the fuel filter assembly bleed screw may be suspect. After I changed the fuel filter I went to bleed the system and the bleed screw was barely snug.

Maybe after a engine cool down air was drawn in through the bleed valve line? I'm stumped.

Any advice is appreciated...Thanks.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 'O' ring on the back of the filter mount that accomodates
a sensor for the Diag system is prone to failing and leaking in air
to the filter. There are a lot of threads on this issue.

Asmoday

Videos attached...IP Return Line

firefox thank you for the suggestion. I'm getting ready to order a spin on kit...:)

So...a small update. I went ahead and replaced the injector return lines and well as the line on top of the IP. I also cleaned the glass ball. Actually it was clean to begin with but I went ahead and sprayed it with carb cleaner just to be sure.

I did do some testing after doing the injector return lines. I used a piece of clear Tygon tubing on the top to see if there was any air present. I did not see any air in the line whatsoever.
The truck fired up perfect as usual on every start.

I can not figure out why the truck had the issue the other day. I'm baffled but based on a gut feeling I think the system sucked air at the filter location somehow.

I have attached a couple of 10 sec. videos of the truck running with the clear Tygon tubing showing no air in the line. The truck is just purring.

Anyone have any other ideas?

View attachment IMG_1201.MOV
View attachment IMG_1204.MOV

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks