• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter and Flexplate/Flywheel question

Croatan_Kid

I just so happened to have one laying within 5 feet of my computer, so I counted the teeth. Came up with 139, sounds odd, but that's what's there. It's for a 1984 K-5 Blazer with a 6.2 and a 700R4.

mangus580

700R4 flexplate is SMALLER than the one for hte TH400.

If you go to the auto parts store, and ask for a flexplate for a civvy truck with the 3 speed TH400 transmission, you shoudl be fine.

Refalgren

went out and counted the flywheel on my truck:

139 teeth.

problem is now, even though the drive gear in the starter is fully extending, its just feathering the flexplate. apparently it isn't close enough to engage the teeth. and no there are no shims installed...

best I can figure its because the starter is aftermarket (unknown maker 24v) and the flywheel is NOS military.

so...

anybody have a good 24v starter lying around that needs a good home?

crusty

This sounds like you got a 24 volt starter for a gas engine. The starter and flywheel for the 350 cubic inch chevrolet engine will bolt up to the 6.2 diesel. It will even start and run, although it would be horribly out of balance.

CCATLETT1984

check to be sure that the machined surface that the starter mounts to on the block is square to the flywheel. also be sure you have the correct bolts, there is a commone bolt that you can get at the auto parts store that kinda fits. the issue is that this bolt is too long and will bottom out in the hole before its torqued down correctly, causing lots of cursing when they snap or bend.

crusty

I have been converting two 6.2's for use in my boat and have looked into the flywheel/drive coupling situation pretty thorouly. The Flywheel from a 350 chev with the two-piece rear main seal will bolt onto the 6.2 engine and can use a gas engine starter, a handy feature if you are looking for a replacement in a strange port. The best solution, I think is to use a Stick shift Diesel flywheel and 12 volt Diesel starter. It just fits into a mercruiser bell housing with a crank-drive coupling. Of course, the flex plate from an early 350 would also fit.

badassissimo

Sorry for raising the dead but I know how much repeat threads end up on here. I searched and saw this thread. Searched a few others and saw references to the 139 tooth flywheel (flexplate). I gave information over the phone to Oreillys for the 86 K30 with TH400 like I saw advertised on one of these threads about the flexplate. So... I have pictures to look for positive identification of either a, "Yes, that's it" or even a "Just search the forum, this was already posted here: ______" so I can compare my photos.
20150405_172149.jpg
20150405_172300.jpg20150405_172245.jpg20150405_172216.jpg20150405_172204.jpg

The only thing that worries me is the extra hole. I saw that this one should have 6 holes. This one I bought has 7 but the 7th hole isn't equally spaced so I'm curious if that is for alignment purposes on the TH400 or a different transmission. Possibly, it is a sign that I have the wrong flexplate? Thought pictures would help the question so here they are and I look forward to your response. Maybe this helps the thread poster gain a better bearing as well.

For all those concerning details, I have a m1009 and it has the TH400 behind the 6.2.

cucvrus

It looks right to me. I only see 6 torque converter bolt holes. I am not seeing the 7th hole on the outside. The seventh hole on the center is for the crankshaft dowel alignment pin. May I suggest you replace the 6 M10 torque converter bolts when you change the flywheel. When I was a GM mechanic we were told they were a once and done bolt. I know people put lock tight on them and use them over. i just buy 6 new bolts as piece of mind. Has not failed me yet. Good Luck.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 15 search results for "FRA-142"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I'd like to point out for the future. If you are going to get parts at the parts house, make sure you tell them it's a 1984. 85 and 86 production updates didn't apply to the CUCV lineup even though you might have a 1986 truck.

badassissimo

One thing I'd like to point out for the future. If you are going to get parts at the parts house, make sure you tell them it's a 1984. 85 and 86 production updates didn't apply to the CUCV lineup even though you might have a 1986 truck.
Should I return it? Going off of Doghead and thinking I'm in the clear. FRA 142 is in my hand and on that thread.