• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter? Batteries?

jag7720

I have a problem this morning... My wife went out to take the kids to school and tried to start the truck (M1009). Well it turned over a few times and then turned like the batteries were dying. So I tried to jump it with my civy diesel van... no luck.

I put it on a charger for about an hour. The meter on the charger went from 25% to 100% charged.

Now when I try to start it... all I get is a click that sounds like it is coming from under the dash. The starter doesn't even turn over,

I only have one alternator and two batteries... the batteries are under 2 years old.

Looking at the trouble shooting section of TM 9-2320-289-34 i only find this...

16. WILL NOT CRANK OR CRANKS SLOWLY BUT WILL NOT START
Remove torque converter cover and inspect flywheel for chipped or damaged
Step 1.
teeth.
Replace flywheel if teeth are chipped or damaged

I have not checked ... but I can't believe that this is a chipped flywheel causing this.

Can someone tell me where I should start trouble shooting this?

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The click is the starter relay under the dash. Sounds like the starter died. I presume this truck is converted to 12V and it's a 12V starter, since you're only running one alternator? Try tapping on it while someone tries to start it, but it sure sounds like it just died ("turned like the batteries were dying"). If you're daring and don't mind sparks, short the solenoid and see if it kicks out... :)

jag7720

Re: RE: Starter? Batteries?

CUCVFAN said:
The click is the starter relay under the dash. Sounds like the starter died. I presume this truck is converted to 12V and it's a 12V starter, since you're only running one alternator? Try tapping on it while someone tries to start it, but it sure sounds like it just died ("turned like the batteries were dying"). If you're daring and don't mind sparks, short the solenoid and see if it kicks out... :)

Yes, I'm on 12v. I found that relay in the manual and I replaced it according to a post I found saying it was the most important thing to know... problem still exists.

Tapping the solenoid/starter and jumping it was my next step.

BRB...

truck0590

RE: Re: RE: Starter? Batteries?

when 'tapping' on a starter don't be shy...give it a couple of good wacks. Now you are not trying to knock it off its mounts but trying to knock stuck brushes loose. Many folks do just tap and wonder why that doesn't work.

Truck

jag7720

RE: Re: RE: Starter? Batteries?

I smacked it with a screw driver handle and had the wife turn the key... I got one good slam from the solenoid. Nothing else. I tried it again and got nothing.

The starter was put in new from NAPA eleven months ago. I'm going to call and see what their warranty is.

jag7720

Ok, I took the old starter out... took it down to NAPA and they tested it... BAD, bad starter!

I'm glad the dealership that put it in used lifetime warranty parts from NAPA.

So now I'm putting in the new one...

Question... the old starter had two shims... 040 and 020... can I assume that since the block isn't changing I can use the same shims? Or do I have to install, test, shim, retest and repeat as needed?

jag7720

well, It was a reman and you are right... I remember seeing that... but I guess I didn't think twice about it.

Why are shims no longer needed?

acetomatoco

No shims are needed because GM changed the design cuz nobody ever put em back in anyway... it was a way to get proper tooth engagement on the flexplate....I successfullly run a 12V civvy starter on 24 Volts on my Cucv... sure spins fast and starts better... my local rebuilder says it will last a long time and of course all civvy starter parts are easy to find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks