• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter bolt broke

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had a starter bolt break off. How hard is it to get the broken part out of the block? What size easy out do I need?
Thanks for any help.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M998 I was able to walk it around with a good sharp punch. These bolts typically fail not because the get rusted in place but because the base of the bolt work hardens from the weight of the starter and the torque of the starter.

Replace both for sure and make sure the rear bracket is secured properly.

Very common issue on the 6.2l and 6.5l.

Mark

vanaisa

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks that explained a lot.

87cr250r

The broken part of the bolt is loose. If you've got a hot glue gun or some super glue you could glue a dowel or rod to the end of the bolt and unthread it.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The broken part of the bolt is loose. If you've got a hot glue gun or some super glue you could glue a dowel or rod to the end of the bolt and unthread it.
Hum ok never would have thought the bolt would be loose enough for that to work. Thanks

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

87cr250r

Heck no. Lock washers are bunk.

To elaborate, split lock washers in particular provide no locking effect and add the risk of the washer breaking and coming out from under the head of the bolt.

All forms of lock washers have openings that allow moisture under the head of the bolt which causes corrosion and seizing.

The only reusable type of lock washer that has any real locking effect is the wedge type lock washer. Nord-Lock is one brand.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah no lock wahers. The problem is the bolts are not very thick and the starter is very heavy. Just the way it is.

Mark

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah no lock wahers. The problem is the bolts are not very thick and the starter is very heavy. Just the way it is.

Mark
Ok, I won't use any. Got bolt out with easy out. Putting brand new bolts in. Will be getting the bracket off my old M1009 and putting on my truck very soon.
Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying you don't have a rear bracket for the starter. That is a buttload of weight to be cantilevered out supported only by two starter bolts. Like I just read about the Space X test vehicle's explosion today.

Rapid unscheduled disassembly

What a great line that it.

Mark

87cr250r

I've had good luck extracting broken bolts with lefthand drill bits.
You only need the left hand bit if the bolt is in a through hole where the opposite side is unaccessible. The left hand bit prevents the bolt from being run through the hole and into that place you won't be able to get it out of.

An example would be a cylinder head bolt. Using a standard bit would run the bolt into the water jacket.

Otherwise, left hand bits are expensive and unnecessary for most bolt extractions.

Lothar

I've used the same $40 set for more than 10 years. Hardly call that expensive. Have helped friends, neighbors, even a local mechanics shop with them. If you're going to drill out a broken bolt for use with an easy out, why not use a left hand bit? The heat from drilling combined with the correct direction of twist is often all it takes to remove it. While there are other tools and techniques, there is no denying the effectiveness of using them.

Lothar

If a solution has a long history of success, why pretend it doesn't? If something is too expensive but isn't really expensive at all, why pivot into calling it extra? When people offer advice to others that are asking, why try to trample the advice when theres nothing to gain? If a bolt is broken and loose, its pretty common sense to simply unthread it. Since we are addressing a struck/broken bolt, my advce is quite relevant and affordable. I am not surprised at all to hear that OP removed the bolt by drilling it and using an easy out. It is even less of a surprise that hot glue wasn't considered or used. Anyone that has a decent amount of experience removing broken bolts has likely had an extractor break inside the drilled hole and therefore further complicated the extraction. Lefthand bits will often pull the broken piece right out without need for the extractor. If you can get the hole centered well, it is also possible to continue drilling with incrementally larger bits and the piece will free up. I have a drawer in one of my toolboxes that has lefthand bits, square and spiral extractors, taps, punches, etc. The hot glue gun is not in that toolbox. infact, it is not in the shop at all, it is inside the house with my wife and kid's craft project supplies.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If a solution has a long history of success, why pretend it doesn't? If something is too expensive but isn't really expensive at all, why pivot into calling it extra? When people offer advice to others that are asking, why try to trample the advice when theres nothing to gain? If a bolt is broken and loose, its pretty common sense to simply unthread it. Since we are addressing a struck/broken bolt, my advce is quite relevant and affordable. I am not surprised at all to hear that OP removed the bolt by drilling it and using an easy out. It is even less of a surprise that hot glue wasn't considered or used. Anyone that has a decent amount of experience removing broken bolts has likely had an extractor break inside the drilled hole and therefore further complicated the extraction. Lefthand bits will often pull the broken piece right out without need for the extractor. If you can get the hole centered well, it is also possible to continue drilling with incrementally larger bits and the piece will free up. I have a drawer in one of my toolboxes that has lefthand bits, square and spiral extractors, taps, punches, etc. The hot glue gun is not in that toolbox. infact, it is not in the shop at all, it is inside the house with my wife and kid's craft project supplies.
I keep a few sticks of hot glue and a Bic in my toolbox.
Amazing how often some glue melted and stuck to a chunk of metal - or a broken bolt - will solve a problem.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying you don't have a rear bracket for the starter. That is a buttload of weight to be cantilevered out supported only by two starter bolts. Like I just read about the Space X test vehicle's explosion today.

Rapid unscheduled disassembly

What a great line that it.

Mark
I do but it's on another M1009 that's not running. I need to get it off there and put on new truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks