• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Brackets, Bolts and other starter info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somemedic

Ive been snapping starter bolts this past week. i didnt realize the last time it had gone into a shop the mech hadnt returned the starter bracket (That holds the rear of the starter up). Probably thought it was extra.
Ive since procured one but have had a heck of a time trying to figure out what size the bolt that secures the bracket to the side of the a.)block or b.)inner fender (cant remember which). Any ideas as to the pitch/diameter/metric or standard?? Also what is the size of the starter bolts? I believe theyre metric and maybe an M6 at 120mm long... need confirmation.

acetomatoco

RE: Starter bracket bolt size??

The starter bolts are special GM and they recommend you not reuse them like head bolts because they stretch. I would suggest you just go to the GM dealer and get the new ones...Those darn manuals come into play again...Bolt, starter motor 15544950 10 x 1.5 x 9.8 metric. 14028931 brace, starter motor, the little bolt is like a 1/4-20 x 1/2 SAE, but probably metric...common stores so to speak...not in the GM parts book because of commonality. I may have time to look in the 34P later for the little bolt...which screws into the block...couldn't go into the fender cuz of motor mount flex from torquing. have fun... I just did the one on my M1008 and believe me it is easier with the truck jacked up and the RF wheel off and two jacks and two jack stands to get the body up from the axle so you can bring the starter out the front...

acetomatoco

Here it is.....in the 34P bolt, machine, 14060613. GM Number Don't forget it holds the solenoid heat shield on too....

Somemedic

heat shield gone a long time ago. None the less the starter bolt snapped AGAIN today. Luckily, close by chevy dealer had said 2 bolts on hand. I am tired of replacing those cheap chineese bolts. Menards is packed with Black Friday fools so the bolt bracket will wait a few days till "normal" returns to the mall area. Bright side is my capt. is working so I get to do this in a heated bay instead of a cold puddle outside.

Refalgren

Somemedic

Do you keep hearing a tapping noise when running the engine or driving?

If so _check the flexplate_

it could have cracks in it causing it to tap the starter, and shear the bolts

I had that problem, went through 6 sets in a month. am now running 1/2 inch grade 8s because of it (i have no problem with running beefer bolts. less to worry about) but in your case it shouldn't have to come to that

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumped to update part numbers and sizes.

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt - dealer item. Some parts stores can get them in packages of 5
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket to Block Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter - no longer available.
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter - dealer should have them

old and new.jpgbrackets.jpg
Gear reduction on the left, direct drive on the right

Picture of the starters and the corresponding brackets

Last edited:

jdeoliveira74

My system was converted to 12v I too have just broken my second starter bolt. What would be the correct 12v starter to install. The reason i ask is the bolt for the front bracket is broken off the starter and i cannot mount the front bracket. Hence the broken starter bolts...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12v diesel starter for a 1984 Chevy K30 with J-code engine. It should come with the stud for the support bracket.

Any parts house should be able to order it. These truck are getting older and they don't stock stuff like this on the shelf. Usually have it at the warehouse.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The support bracket is a dealer only item. You might find one at a junk yard. Sorry.

I have a few at the house. I could send you one out but it would take a couple of days also.

Are you getting the old style direct drive or new style gear reduction starter? The support brackets are different. I have both.

wired1000

Can anyone post a pic of what the starter bracket looks like installed on a direct drive starter? I had a shop replace my starter recently and apparently they didn't think it necessary to finish the job. I think I have the bracket... there is something dangling nearby that looks like it'd fit right into place. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks in advance!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been posted many times but here it is again.

Gear reduction on the left
Direct Drive on the right

and installed on the gear reduction

Attachments

Last edited:

top_prop

I just bought and installed a new 12v 28MT starter from ebay as part of my Roscommon Electric 12v conversion. Seller was RareElectrical... $90 shipped! Got it in less than a week. I bought two new starter bolts for a 6.5 (GM 15544950) from the local GM dealer... $16. I also bought the new gear reduction bracket for the 6.5 (GM 23502557) $14.

The bolt that holds the bracket to the block was a grade 8 1/2" hex head, 5/16x18 thread. I had to run it through a die to clean up the threads as it was loose on the old starter and had the threads beat up.

The new stater bolts were so snug in the starter I had to beat them through so a few threads protruded with a rubber mallet before I hung the starter. I also found it easiest to put the new bracket on with the 1/2' bracket bolt just abit shy of snug into the block so I could put the starter in place, flip the new bracket over the 1/4x20 stud in the back of the starter, then snug the main starter bolts. Then I put a couple 1/4x20 nuts on the stud on the back of the starter with blue lock tight (yes locked the two nuts together with blue lock tight => belts and suspenders). Then I snugged the 1/2" hex head bracket bolt to the block.

All three bolts required somewhat cleaver use of extensions and a wobble to work around cross members... the starter itself etc.

Check the TM but if I recall correctly the starter bolts are torqued to 30-33 FTlb.

Sorry, I was alone or I would have taken picks. Thanks for this thread it was very usefull!

(edited... it wasn't the 1/4x20 die I ran on that bolt... it was the 5/16x18 )

Last edited:

wired1000

CUCV Starter Bracket Picture

Many thanks to Warthog for posting these pics for me. To aid in members easily searching, I am reposting them with as many obvious keywords as possible. Hopefully no one else will (as I did) spend 5 minutes searching for the pics and then start a new thread / revive an old thread to ask for them.

The bracket on the left is for the gear-reduction starter

Bracket on the right is for direct-drive starter

Other pic is the gear-reduction starter with bracket attached.

If anyone has good pics of the starter (either type) installed, that would be a good addition to this thread.

Relevant part #'s (also courtesy of Warthog)

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter

Again, thanks Warthog for posting these. Hopefully with these search keywords, no one will ever start a new thread looking for these #'s or pictures. :beer:

And now with the search keywords:

M1009 M1008 M1010 CUCV Starter Bracket Brace Bolt Bolts Gear Reduction Gear-reduction direct-drive direct drive pic picture pictures bolt bolts size sizes nut nuts

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting that you used 1/4x20 on the block as a metric bolt is called for in the tech manuals.

M8x1.25x20

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt that goes in to the block is...M10x1.5x9.8 (hardware store)
According to the tech manual, the bracket to block bolt is a M8x1.25x20

A 1.5 is too big unless the block has been modified. Another poster even listed it as a 1/4-20 which is also wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks