• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter FUBAR

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Well....I knew things were going too well with my newly acquired CUCV. Murphy must have finally found out.

Today I drove the CUCV to the lower barn to feed the piggys. I had started and stopped it twice switching the ignition off both times.

The last time I started it the starter hung wide open. Even when I turned the ignition completely off the starter was still engaged.

I finally got a hot and ground off one of the batteries and killed it.

When I put the battery cables on I heard a whirring noise like the stater bendix was engaging.

The wires on one of the alternators seemed to be smoking slightly.

Is this one of those problems that these wretched inventions of the devil are known for?

Any ideas?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like someone needs a doghead relay fix, and if you are lucky, thats it. If murphy really got ya, plan on a starter motor also......

Why do you think the 5 ton guys call the CUCV's wheel chocks........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like someone needs a doghead relay fix, and if you are lucky, thats it. If murphy really got ya, plan on a starter motor also......

Why do you think the 5 ton guys call the CUCV's wheel chocks........
Possible answer, CUCV's are a little above their skill set?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least my electrical system works!
Yeah, mine do to. Poor wreckerman! CUCV's tend to fog the minds of the big truck crowd. There is a couple of things going on at once in the electrical system. Many see them as a cobbled together system, I see it as genius (well, except for that stupid factory starter relay).

TGP (IL)

Yeah, mine do to. Poor wreckerman! CUCV's tend to fog the minds of the big truck crowd. There is a couple of things going on at once in the electrical system. Many see them as a cobbled together system, I see it as genius (well, except for that stupid factory starter relay).
They are actually well thought out. Once you understand how it all works and do a couple of mod's. learned by others expense, it's dependable.
And you can't beat the twin 100 amp. alt's.
Tom

Skinny

I can never figure out how people think this system is complicated. It's like two seperate charging systems wired in series. It is no more difficult to troubleshoot than a standard 12v system except there duplicate pieces. Not only does it have a lot of power ability but if alternator one dies, you can simply swap it out for number two to get home.

MarcusOReallyus

The relay isn't a design flaw, it's a manufacturer's defect, easily cured.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCV's rule, try taking your 5 Ton into Atlanta and parking in a parking deck, it just is not happening. Think of the CUCV as your life boat. Always around, easy to get into and rolling and in alot of cases will save your butt when your big boat is not running.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay isn't a design flaw, it's a manufacturer's defect, easily cured.
Semantics really but since you had nothing else to add, lets take a look. GM designers had a parameter to design the vehicle within. They opted to use a relay that is used for something else. The relay isn't up to the task. There is no defect with the relay, it works just fine in it's designed application but that's not where they put it. Seems like a design flaw to me.

Skinny

It only explodes the starter, melts any associated wiring, and leaves you stranded when the relay fails...not a big deal. Not like the ignition key shuts off killing you ;)

Its a known problem and if you haven't fixed it immediately upon purchase you are either "driving a grenade with the pin out" or "running bare back". Whatever description works best!

donalloy1

They are actually well thought out. Once you understand how it all works and do a couple of mod's. learned by others expense, it's dependable.
And you can't beat the twin 100 amp. alt's.
Tom
Well spoken TGP! Follow SS prompts for mods and PM. Study TM's top to bottom. Seek advice as required. Once complete you will be good for long haul! My only wish is that I could keep alt belts from flapping at idle. Cannot seem to find Three bears setting and kepp it there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks