• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter grinds flywheel when started???

MackeyK5

Hey guys I’m looking to buy a CUCV it’s got the 6.2L with 24V starter he says it’s grinding when engine is turned over it’s missing the support brace is that the reason why? And if so do y’all think as long as it hasint been going on for a while I can just put the bracket on it and it should be fine? Thanks5F1E0274-C480-4B43-811F-FAE113658224.jpeg

Keith_J

Check the starter carefully. Missing the bracket will over stress the nose cone, bolts and retainer. Check the pinion for wear. Replace the main bolts holding the starter to the block.

These bolts are no fun to drill out and extract the broken bits. Time spent looking over everything is well spent.

MackeyK5

Check the starter carefully. Missing the bracket will over stress the nose cone, bolts and retainer. Check the pinion for wear. Replace the main bolts holding the starter to the block.

These bolts are no fun to drill out and extract the broken bits. Time spent looking over everything is well spent.
Thank you for your input he said that a shop replaced the starter and flywheel and it has not moved in a few months I’m assuming because if the grinding so hopefully nothing is ruined I know it’s all pretty cheap parts but not really a fun thing to do

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking rig. You would think that the seller would have fixed what's wrong with it if he really wanted to sell it.
I would be leary about the purchase and the seller at this point. Offer a grand less than asking price. That should give you some wiggle room to get it properly repaired. If he don't budge, walk away.

cruzer747

new to this thread but I thought I should chime in.... starter grinding can mean a few things. Like first post said, inspect carefully, it would be a little more relieving to see the wear evenly across the whole flywheel but often times when a bad spot happens in the motor it will stop at the bad spot more often than random and also when cranking that bad spot receives more wear than the rest. If the bad spot is very localized to under 10 teeth I would expect either a leaking injector or blown HG or crack causing coolant to be causing minor hydrolock.

If you can get it to grind, take a screwdriver / wrench (the screwdriver can fit between lugs on converter) and spin it by hand feeling for any spot that has more than regular compression.

Themn again most of these starters dont need shimming but some do and there are plenty of write-ups about proper clearance and shimming. Get that back bracket on. I am sure you went one way r another with this and hopefully have a good story :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks