• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Issue.

Dawookie

I have an 85 09 that im having trouble with. I have converted it to 12v about 6 months ago without any issues. This weekend got in and turned the key to hear click. Check the batteries which are good so that eliminated the batteries and alternator so i figured its something to do with the starter. Took the starter out (gear reduction) and brought to the parts house to check and replace if bad. Tested fine. Reinstalled and it started right up. I started and shut it down a few time and then it clicks again. Loosen bolts checked to make sure everything was tight and started up. Do you think its an alignment problem (need shims) or something else?

Dawookie

I will check the grounds tonight. I cleaned and tighted them when i did the turbo around the same time i did the 12v conversion. Thanks for a place to start lol.

K9Vic

Must be the hot Texas summer that loosened all of our ground wires, LOL! :doghead:

Crazy that three of us from Texas had the same issue this summer with that engine block ground.

markg

Must be the hot Texas summer that loosened all of our ground wires, LOL! :doghead:

Crazy that three of us from Texas had the same issue this summer with that engine block ground.
i think gm is partly to blame for the poor design. most folks check the top nut, but not the bottom. the first time i tried to remove the top nut on that ground strap without a backup wrench on the bottom i spun that black cable around my impact socket , pulling it and the power strip completely off the firewall. wont do that again!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks