• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter issues m1009

Jonas

So, i got the OK to drive the truck from the testing place now in sweden, yay!

ofcourse more problems appear...

The starter has always worked porfect while it was in the garage, always cranked the engine.

Now, when the truck has been running some the starter solenoid wont engage some times.. I can drive it for 15 minutes, turn it off and then to restart it in 5 minutes and the starter is completley dead. i can try to start it 20 times and nothing, then on the 21st time it starts.

Ive been reading up on the delco starters and people seems to be experiencing alot of problems with hot starters not being able to move the solenoid.

I found this site,

Chevrolet No Start Fix - Chevy High Performance

anyone ever had to modify their starter like that to avoid it from not engaging when hot?
Maybe i can manifacture a heatshield around it...
or is my starter slowly dieing on me and should be replaced ?

pain in the butt to just sit in the truck waiting for some time to pass trying to start the truck just hearing clicks from a 2nd solenoid i have in the engine bay.

starter has brand new cables and volts was about 24.5 Volts on the main power connector to the starter.

Thank you all for great reading :)
picture of the queen:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._406835470996_570920996_4959455_1815874_n.jpg

Jonas

24.5v seems a little low. Have you load tested the batteries?
They were 24.8 today, no load testing has been done but those are brand new heavy duty batteries :(

And if the batteries were weak, that still wouldnt make these issues i think ?

Since its, Noting or All when it comes to the starting..

SGT Estum

I recently had a little starter issue. Granted, it sounds like a somewhat different issue but I think they may share a common "solution".

When I went to crank the engine, the starter gave off this terrible sound like something out of a horror movie and the engine did not turn over. So I crawled under the truck and gave it a little love with a 5 pound rubber mallet. Got back in the cab and she started right up.

markinnh

true enough the ground is through the body of the starter, if the mounting flange is totally crudded up, clean it and make sure its bolted in place well. On my CUCV, there is a solenoid that sends 24v to the solenoid on the starter, (a 12 volt coil solenoid from the ign switch that sends 24 volts to the solenoid on the starter. See a post on here called "the Doghead fix" or something like that. If the solenoid Doghead refers to is failing to switch the solenoid on, then it stands to reason that it may stick on and cause lots of issues, Beware!

Jonas

my setup is the same, as the starter relay under the dash has been bypassed with a new solenoid in the engine area.

The whole body of the starter should be ground right?

Maybe i can run a cable from (-) on the bat down to the starter to make sure its not a grounding issue... I dont think it is tho.. I still think its the heat problem.

I had the truck parked for 2 hours now, fired right up no hesetation.

spraying water on a hot starter is a no-no i guess ?

Those "hot-start-fixes" only seems to bridge the solenoid connector to the the battery connector? "s" and "bat"

Last edited:

Jonas

sigh, blocked the road for 30 minutes today...

Should the starter always have power?
Is it possible just to supply voltage to the starter when its going to start... i guess having 24volts in it all the time creates some heat itself...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks