• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter issues

Blazerlover

Got a 86 1009 that is my daily driver,and Im not a mechanic,but starter went out a few weeks ago,pulled it and replaced it,did a errand and got it truck..turned key..dash lights came on but no start,tried it again and same thing,took key OUT of ignition and was calling guy the helped put starter in and..its started without key in! Got to say that is a weird feeling:driver:and the starter would not shut off,put key back in and tried to shut it down and nothing I could but drive it about half a mile home..I could hear starter running all the way,so had starter tested and said solenoid was bad,got a new one today but mechanic there says it sounds like starter relay or ignition switch..what say you guys? Going to be a while once running before I trust it again..love that truck!!! And THANKS for any help I can get!!:tank:

GunnyM1009

Sounds like a classic case of relay failure to me. Search dog head mod in the forum search and you will see what needs to be done to keep it from happening again.

Rvitko

Either the starter relay stuck or the voltage was low assuming it is stock 24v and the solenoid contacts welded. It is also possible the starter wasn't shimmed correctly so the gear couldn't retract. If you only lost the starter you are lucky. I had the low voltage scenario and lost my batteries, alts and fusible links.

GunnyM1009

Either the starter relay stuck or the voltage was low assuming it is stock 24v and the solenoid contacts welded. It is also possible the starter wasn't shimmed correctly so the gear couldn't retract. If you only lost the starter you are lucky. I had the low voltage scenario and lost my batteries, alts and fusible links.
The low voltage scenario wouldn't have happened after he turned off the switch and removed the key though. Would it?

reaper556

Did any of your wiring melt? Usually its pretty nasty when a relay sticks if you cant get your batteries disconnected quick enough

GunnyM1009

Did any of your wiring melt? Usually its pretty nasty when a relay sticks if you cant get your batteries disconnected quick enough
Thats why as soon as I found this forum after getting Gunny I went ahead and did the dog head mod. I have seen some horror stories on here about starter run on. I figured $20 now could save me hundreds in the future.

Rvitko

The low voltage scenario wouldn't have happened after he turned off the switch and removed the key though. Would it?
Probably not, when it happened to me the starter turned slow and weak though and then ran away, but within seconds it was like Chernobyl under the hood, molten lead shot out of my batteries and they looked like balloons. If you use the 28mt starter, the 50 amp stock relay definitely won't cut it, delco recommends 150 amp so the doghead is a great solution.

GunnyM1009

Probably not, when it happened to me the starter turned slow and weak though and then ran away, but within seconds it was like Chernobyl under the hood, molten lead shot out of my batteries and they looked like balloons. If you use the 28mt starter, the 50 amp stock relay definitely won't cut it, delco recommends 150 amp so the doghead is a great solution.
Well I have the gear reduction starter and so far so good with the dog head mod

Blazerlover

Starter issue

Well I have the gear reduction starter and so far so good with the dog head mod
Thanks guys! Not found any melted wires yet,just solenoid..I did smell something "hot" on the way home and never took terminals off that fast ever:mrgreen:...where would be a good place to get starter relay if thats it? Going to try dog head mod,guess I got lucky...I hope.....:naner:

reaper556

Thanks guys! Not found any melted wires yet,just solenoid..I did smell something "hot" on the way home and never took terminals off that fast ever:mrgreen:...where would be a good place to get starter relay if thats it? Going to try dog head mod,guess I got lucky...I hope.....:naner:
Any auto parts will have them. NAPA# SME 7018601

Blazerlover

Ok,got new solenoid,put in starter and did the dog head mod..turned key and nothing.Checked voltage from relay and its about 3.5 volts..now we are lost...what would cause that? This starter issue has been a nightmare so any ideas? Im not a mechanic but friend who helped install starter knows more then me about electric stuff..please tell me this is a easy one...THANKS in advance!!!!