• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter issues

dcoates

Hey,

First off this is a 1984 6.2 deisel powered retired military pickup. I know as much about it as I do this computer. I have been tasked to maintain it by my local fire department because I am the only volunteer with vehicle repair history. Long story short, we are probably going to retire it because in two years, we are going on our third $300.00 starter. After searching this site, I believe I have found the problem. One, the rear starter support is missing and I think I have the wrong starter bolts. My questions are, where can I find a rear starter support and where can I find the right bolts. If we decide to keep it, I will go with a tourque reduction piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank uo

Tanner

Support bracket for rear of 6.2 starter is news to me... my civvy 6.2 has a homemade bracket from previous owner for supporting the rear of the starter -

I'd like to see the bracket in question if anyone has a picture available -

"Tanner"

beaubeau

The civy 6.2 s have the support bracket also, and it is a must or u break the starter housing and I have see where the Block breaks where the bolts go in. The bracket is sort of U shaped, mounts on end of starter and side of block. I am sure a GM garage will have one, or a salvage yard. Dam, I just scrapped a 6.2 2 months ago that had starter and bracket!! Sorry! Good luck, Phil

dcoates

All the pictures i've seen show the gear reduction and the normal starter to be the same size. Am I looking at the wrong starter?

beaubeau

The only starter I know is quite large and it was the only one used in the 80s. I believe the 6.5 uses the same except in laters years. Maybe that is the gear reduction one that can be used. Again, the support bracket is the important item u need with the right bolts. The bracket is sometimes difficult to replace and that is why some mechanics fail to reinstall them. There should be a bolt that sticks out the front of the starter and thats what the bracket attaches to and the other part of the bracket bolts to the block. I am not sure, but there may be a 2nd piece that attaches to the side of the engine block???? Good luck, Phil

CCATLETT1984

its a one piece bracket, attaches to a stud coming out of the forward end of the starter and bolts to the engine block.

The gear reduction starter used on the later year 6.5's will bolt into place of the original starter. (i view the original style as better, as you get higher cranking rpm's)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A search for "starter bracket", in the cucv forum will help you find pictures and part numbers for the bracket and bolts. I think there are 27 "results" for that search in the cucv forum. Read them all and you will get a good education on this topic. You'll also find some sources to purchase the bolts, bracket and starter. If you need help using the search function, just ask.

You can also find them in the -34 TM.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dcoates said:
But are there two brackets depending on gear reduction or regular starter?
I do not know but, I would bet that CCATLETT1984 will have an answer for you.

dcoates

thank you. Like I said, we may vote to put this truck out of commission for our station, however, know that based on all your help, and my time researching, I will fight to keep the truck. It is a good truck, it may not be the best looking girl at the prom, but it can take the abuse. We also have one complaint of "it rides rough." No duh! People nowadays!

dcoates

Good news, we have decided to fix this truck and keep it as our brush truck. Cool! So now, I will order the gear reduction starter today and look into the brackets and bolts. So if I am correct, I should ask for the bracket and bolts for a 93-95 6.5l truck? Also, any other suggestions while I'm working on the truck. I think Im going to look into the cdr valve and possibly a fuel filter. My issue with the fuel filter is how to bleed the air out of the system. Thanks to all who have helped me thus far.

Dave Coates

CCATLETT1984

when you change the filter out, pull the pink wire from the top of the injector pump, that way when you crank air can not get into the IP and cause you grief. Change the fuel filter for sure, they are cheap. For the CDR pull it off and blast it with some carb cleaner to clean out any gunk from the inside, this is a short term fix for a bad one and will let you know if it needs replacing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks