• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter issues

big hoss

I have been dealing with this for 3 weeks and i have finaly given up. I have a 1968 m35a2 and it is have starting issues. Whenever I mash the starter button it will turn the starter over like normal but when I let go of the button it keeps turning over untill i unhook the battery. Then I can walk over to the starter and tap it and you can hear the selonoid return back to normal and it will start the process over again. please help.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds to me like you have already identified the issue. The starter solenoid is hanging up. Don't try to start the engine again until you fix it or you will damage the starter.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ditto to all of Gary's post.

Clay James

You should be able to get the solenoid rebuilt. I took mine to a local starter/alternator shop and they fixed it. The disk and contacts were so shot I'm surprised it started at all.

big hoss

I just rebulit the starter because it was doing nothing, but I never touched the selonoid. Do you think where it hinges on the pin might need a little lube

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just rebulit the starter because it was doing nothing, but I never touched the selonoid. Do you think where it hinges on the pin might need a little lube
If you just had the starter rebuilt, they should have checked out the solenoid. I would take it back to the starter shop that rebuilt it and complain. Are you certain that they rebuilt the starter? A faulty solenoid could have been the original problem.

rolling18

I have also have JUST "started":mrgreen: having this PROBLEM as well... in my case, I nearly drained the batteries trying to start in 25deg. last time I pushed the starter, It would NOT release and I begun to panic, turned everything off and it kept going!! WTF????

I RUN to the garage to get tools to take off a bat cable, ( bat smoking pretty good by now and still trying to crank)
its night and freeeezing out so I cant get right size tools fast enough, all I could do was get a LARGE wrench and try to pry the cable off terminal w/o short circuiting something.. luckily i did.

Now im here and looking as to WTF happened?? relay? solonoid? starter switch itself?:-|:???: