• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Issues?

uriss

So I finally got my title today and slapped some insurance on the Duece. Friend stopped by and we were going to go riding. Got in and hit the starter button and the solenoid ? just makes a whirring sound without engaging the starter. Do I just pull off the solenoid or is that a starter issue? Since I have gotten the truck home over a week ago I have started it every day with no problems, even took it for a short ride down our dead end road. Yesterday was the last time it started. Is it possible that the connections are just dirty? (All the bolts and connections have a black sooty appearance) Could it be possible I just need to clean them? If the solenoid is bad is there a part number for an easy replacement? Thanks in advance for your input.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the solenoid on the starter not engaging. You say you have been starting it every day? Are the batteries low?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part stores do you have in France?

Read the TM, you don't just remove and replace the solenoid. There is an adjustment that requires starter removal.

uriss

Thanks for the constructive input! Been checking all that as well! As far as those of you that pretend to read (some should learn State abbreviations) and learn the TM's by heart, they are a little daunting trying to go through them line by line looking for items. Solenoids on Chevys come off so Mr. Wizard not all of us are knowledgeable about EVERYTHING. If you got lost in the woods I would show you which way is North and even light a fire for you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your state abbreviation was there when I posted, I missed it. I fixed it so it is on one line now and easy to notice.

I posted my advice based on my personal experience working on my starter. The info you need to do the job correctly, is in the TM.

Sorry I tried to help you by posting good information, it won't happen again.

BTW, Loose your attitude, or you'll loose you access to this site.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another culprit could be the starter button itself. It sparks internally and self-destructs after so many cycles. Known issue. An improvement exists (from cranetruck?) that simply adds a relay; install new start button, wire start button to operate the relay and let the relay handle the "real" load.

Perhaps pressing and wiggling the button while pressing gets you a start? If so, it is likely a faulty starter button.

uriss

I can't lose an attitude that I didn't have. The TM's do not have the type of advice that is gained from experience working on these vehicles. At the time your response came off as smart alecky. If I stepped on your toes forgive me. I don't push around easily. Never have and never will.

uriss

Thanks cattlerepairman, when I push the start button I can hear the solenoid kick in. I even jumped up on the front and turned the engine by hand a little bit thinking I might have a dead spot. It is just puzzling that the truck started great all this time and then suddenly nothing. Guess I will have to pull the starter and get it redone. Worried about replacing those gaskets the TM's show. Anyone have any ideas on that? Can something be used for a substitute for example I have made many gaskets using gasket paper or O-rings. Thanks

heywood

Clean and tighten all battery connections,fully charge batteries,check and clean ground strap...
If this doesnt work you can then start real troubleshooting.

uriss

Thanks everybody for all of your help! I found the problem when I pulled the starter out this morning. Broken starter drive! According to the rebuilder the starter apparently hit so hard that the ring holding it together inside just let go. I called one of the SS advertisers and $419.00 for a replacement. Fortunately, A guy working out by my truck cleaning the flood debris gave me his repair guy. This shop will have my starter fixed by tomorrow (Wed.) and the new drive will be $60.00 and he is going to charge me $10.00 to put it in. Christmas came early for me this year as my title arrived today as well. Thanks again for all the input and have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving and say a prayer for all the Troops!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks