• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter just died, looking for a new one i think..

Dabba

This is the second time i go to start the truck and all i get is a "Click". The first time i had it rebuilt, this was less than a year ago. I'm not sure what kills it. Theres snow on the ground here so maybe its the water.

So, my first question, should i bother trying to get the thing rebuilt again, or should i get a new starter?

If i were to get a new starter, where should i get it from? Any starters resist the water better? How much should i look to spend? Thanks.

dstang97

I would bring it to a reputable place to get rebuilt. I dont know about you but there will be no chinese junk from ebay going on my truck

Dabba

yeah thats why i ask. from anyone whos bought them new, wheres a good place to get a quality one? the last time i had this rebuilt he just took it apart and put it back together. theres not alot of starter/alt shops around here, esp ones that do 24v..

Mudstone

i ordered mine from odiron.com... still haven't gotten it and it cost me close to 300 shipped. but its allegedly a NEW starter so i'll let you know how it goes when i get it.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a saler on Ebay in Tenn that has them new for 107.00 the shiping to Ga. was 18.00 they are made there the one I got workes great . to have one rebiuld was going to cost me 100.00 if I had good core.
AEC Retired Tony
2 M35A1
3 M35A2
1 M109
1 M1031
1 M1008
2 M1009
1 M516
5 N105A2
1 M816

ralbelt

I ordered a gear reduction starter from ODiron and received it after UPS lost one, I have not installed it yet as I also had the original rebuilt , And I still have the engine partially apart and now plowed in behind a 8' pile of snow.

91W350

I would find a reputable rebuilder and go that route. We have two shops here in Salina that just do fantastic work. Not really cheap, but you do not have to worry about tolerance differences chewing up your flywheel. Just my mind's thoughts and experiences...

91W350

Next time around, have somebody hop in and while they are trying the key in the start position, give the starter a rap with a hammer. Not a crushing blow, just a good solid love tap. You want to stike it as close to the aluminum bell as possible, but not on the bell itself. Many times the brushes will be worn or stuck from accumulated debris and a love tap will allow them to make contact and crank. Might save yourself a tow fee. Glen

Dabba

Thanks mud. Yeah 91W350, i tried to whack it with a hammer and then start it a few times, no go.

So if i get a brand new starter, im gonna worry about having it shimmed or possibly chewwing up the flywheel?

Whats the advantage to the gear reduction starter as opposed to the stock one?

And i guess ill check out the sellers on ebay. I remember looking at ODIron, but for 300 bucks compared to 100, that thing better be like a rock and be water resistant.

86M10086.2L

There's a good Starter/Alternator/generator shop by me. And he'll work on anything you can bring into him 12v, 24v, etc...except airplane stuff (need a special license). The gear reduction starters spin faster than the stock starters period. They are usually much cheaper than new original starters. Check your batteries. If they are too small or crapping out that can burn your starter out. I have dual 600 amp batteries is my truck which I'm kinda pushing my luck with. But they where brand new and my truck runs well. So I'll try for one more season than replace them with correct sized batteries.

southdave

Call K&N electric in cincinnati the new in stock MT 128 24 volts for $124 bucks or so this is Hummer style of starter it used on alot of crap, they also have them in 12v by the way buy the HD soleniod and no shimes they are ground at the factory

Last edited:

Cantrade

If it is the exact problem you might want to look for another cause other than the starter. As vehicles age the cables and connections are less efficient and create voltage drops. A starter solenoid requires quite a bit of current to operate and if the wire to the solenoid is not up to snuff it may be not able to provide the correct voltage/current to make the solenoid.

I have fixed some Porsche 914 problems like this with a pilot relay placed very close to the starter. The wire from the ignition picks up the pilot relay which switches battery power to the original solenoid. These starters would fail to operate after a few hours of driving then parked for a short period of time. The factory wires were very long and connections corrode so there was not enough power at the end of the solenoid wire to suck in the solenoid.

Clean all the connections in the system. Replace bad cables and make sure the block grounds are clean and tight. It sounds like you might have a wiring problem that rears its ugly head after the new starter ages.

Disclaimer: I have no detailed knowledge of the actual starter wiring in your vehicle.:-D

Somemedic

Ive had good luck with 12v rebuild cheapies from autozone. They take the current without complaint. The few times Ive had problems I was able to take the old one back for a rebuilt, in the box starter without question.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to look for another shop. When you find one, take a look at the work they are doing on the bench at that time. When you go into an auto electric shop they should be tearing down the unit, cleaning the housing and guts then installing new bearings and such, if necesary. I would not use someone who just pulls it apart and slaps it back together, unless you ask them to do it that way.

A good shop will not mind you looking through their shop. If you happen across one that does mind, run do not walk, as they most likely have something to hide.

91W350

Along that line, if you find a good shop, ask him to show you some of the cobbled up crap that comes from those mass rebuilders. They are out to make money and volume is the key to their business. If it saves them a nickel on 50,000 units and will get them past the warranty period, it is going in there. I have been the cheap route too, it is not any cheaper unless you are selling your truck. I still would not use them now. Glen

ssgtwright-usmc

Id check to see if your engine has been convertered from 24v to 12v
Find that answer out then replace with what volts you are working with from engine.
Most people think we buy M series directly from the Gov which will be 24.
Once in hands of civilians, they try to change it from 24v to 12v and screw up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks