• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter just doesn't sound right

bigredlab

Recently, I replaced the starter on my M1028. The old starter had significant bearing problems.

When I turn the key, the starter turns, but it doesn't sound like its turning the engine. It sounds higher pitched than the old starter. Also, the engine doesn't start (run).

I already did the doghead relay replacement.

There doesn't seem to be a huge draw on electrical power.

PLEASE HELP!! I just don't know what the problem could be.

Zero_cool

So your starter is turning but your engine is not??

Gm part # 1113591
Assuming that you have the correct one.

Make sure the starter mounting bolts are tight. 33 ft.lbs.
I would remove the access cover and make sure the teeth on the starter are meshing properly with the teeth on the fly-wheel.

Once verifying that it is not a mechanical issue,its sparky time:shock:

If you haven't allready
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/jatonkaCUCV-TMdownloadpage.htm

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some trucks require shims and some do not. The only way to tell for sure is to meassure the clearance between the flywheel/flexplate and the starter bendix. It is covered in the Tech manual and many GM service bullitins.

4bogginchevys

you could be missing a couple teeth on the fly wheel, mine is and if it lines up right there's no go. You have to lye underneath and turn the engine a bit by hand and try it again.

DieselJunkie

i know that sound the starter is bad if the batteries are good. If the batteries are at the end of life it will destroy these particular starters anyway. So I replaced it with a gear reduction 28mt starter it will crank with minimal power. Having the old one rebuilt is a good idea as a spare but it requires alot more juice to crank then a 28mt and if they can't rebuild it with all american parts you will loose the reliability ask me how i know2cents

Barrman

Some of the direct drive units also say "no shim" on the cone the solenoid bolts to. So, not all the starters are supposed to have shim. The redux ones don't either.

DieselJunkie

my 28mt did not need any shims at all it was a perfect fit. When I had my old one rebuilt the first time by some so called proffesionals that used foreign parts it needed alot of shims which will not allow the proper torque setting and could cause some problems. And if you want to replace the starter bolts they are not grade 8 they are like 11 or 13 so the local auto zone or similar will not carry that high of a grade

CROM

I had the gear that drives the flexplate get ground down before. Even without shims, the gear just didn't have enough lenght on the teeth to engage the flexplate. The local motor shop wanted $250 to rebuild the starter. I purchased the gear from them for $35 and put it on myself. Worked great after that!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks