• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter locked in starting postion

tgarrisoniv

ill start from the beginning...

sunk her in a pond, had to wait till next day to get an excavator to it to pull it out, motor was 1/2 way under for at least 24 hours, drained and replaced oil, then it was sat for 2 weeks...

now, friday i went to go start it, click. ok so starter has stuck before, gave it a nice whack no luck. pulled starter, it was nasty. corroded stuck so used screwdriver pried to out, and then tested it, turned fine. hooked back up and FORGOT TO HOOK UP RELAY GROUND. so then when i tried to start, click again. so i go to jump it on the solenoid. sorta tries so i keep touching, (about 15 times) then i can feel wire getting hot so i stop...give it a break...then try again. this time about the 5th try it starts to turn over a bit so get excited do it again. sparks fly from inside cab( batteries are located in cab) so go look whats going on, MELTED the battery terminal off!! (this made me say uh-oh) so pull starter once again...

now here we are, starter is locked in the starting position and will not go back in. solenoid melted? relay fried? both? thoughts on my stupidity? :cry: i do not think i ruined the motor as it seems to try to turn fine.
anythings appreciated. :beer:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Since you forgot the ground, you pulled all that current through the solenoid and probably welded it shut. I would say yes, its time to replace.

Might see if the relay is what is is "closed" but I bet its the solenoid.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the starter was struck that bad, I would REPLACE the starter AND solenoid, you will HAVE to anyway in a short time.

daveks63

I had the same thing happen to me and I had to repale the whole starter and soleniod. When i took my starter apart it had burnt the armature and all 4 feild packs in it. It had melted the terminal off of both batteries and burnt the relay as well up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy new starter.

Stay out of lakes.

tgarrisoniv

****, well looks like ill take the same route. you guys are no where near florida. besides 73m819... wonder where i could find one around here... found one on ebay for 185 but thats still a bit steep for a used one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Memphis Equipment.

Google "M35A2 starter"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks