• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter motor loosens recurrently - M1009 / Chevrolet Blazer K5 6,2 Diesel

Elektroman99

Hello,

OK, please not so fast. o_O

So the 2 retaining screws are specified.

The TM 9-2320-289-20 does not describe the 28MT DELCO REDUCTION starter motor, it describes the others.

47125.JPG

The screw - see drawing - number 3 will remain the same, regardless of which starter motor is installed.

To my regret, I couldn't find which screw that was. Is the No. 3 screw then the M8 x 1.25 x 19.1 mm?

Yes, actually the thread shouldn't be that confusing, I'm trying to get the best out of it and am happy about any constructive participation.
:)(y)

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello,

OK, please not so fast. o_O

So the 2 retaining screws are specified.

The TM 9-2320-289-20 does not describe the 28MT DELCO REDUCTION starter motor, it describes the others.

View attachment 908981

The screw - see drawing - number 3 will remain the same, regardless of which starter motor is installed.

To my regret, I couldn't find which screw that was. Is the No. 3 screw then the M8 x 1.25 x 19.1 mm?

Yes, actually the thread shouldn't be that confusing, I'm trying to get the best out of it and am happy about any constructive participation.
:)(y)
You're taking it to literally...19.1 was a joke that I know you don't get...the bolt length was an estimate by me of 3/4 of an inch...which is 19.10 mm...the joke is, I listed the metric thread with a English inch...they don't mix.

Find a bolt 8x1.25 in a few lengths and see which one works. 19mm possibly??

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

cucvrus

When I was 12 I had a Yamaha DT100. If you ever worked on old Yamahas, you know they used Phillips head screw bolts. You would use an impact screwdriver to take them out. I would go to my Grand Dads and get Allen head bolts. I never knew they were different threads at 12. But I learned quickly. They went in and they got tight. But they brought the case threads along the next time you needed to take the side covers off. Always check thread pitch. I had that DT100 till I was 30 and sold it. It still ran perfect. I used it hard and everyone in the neighborhood learned to ride on it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I was 12 I had a Yamaha DT100. If you ever worked on old Yamahas, you know they used Phillips head screw bolts. You would use an impact screwdriver to take them out. I would go to my Grand Dads and get Allen head bolts. I never knew they were different threads at 12. But I learned quickly. They went in and they got tight. But they brought the case threads along the next time you needed to take the side covers off. Always check thread pitch. I had that DT100 till I was 30 and sold it. It still ran perfect. I used it hard and everyone in the neighborhood learned to ride on it.
How about a blast from the past...

1698249861680.png

Attachments

Elektroman99

OK.... we all don't want to forget that the thread is basically about a starter motor that keeps coming loose.

We have all already established that the two fastening screws can only be used once, that there are shim washers and why, that correct assembly is important, just like the starter support bracket. There are also two different starter support brackets, depending on the type of starter.

I would like to apologize again if my many and frequent questions annoy or amuse some users. Every now and then I have a sweaty back because I don't want to damage anything or unscrew anything.

So thank you very much for the many constructive contributions and, please, back to topic...

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think there's shims involved with these starters. Yes there is 2 types of brackets depending on which starter you have. Here in the states both are available on Amazon but I'm not sure how you'll get one where you are. I have a few of both! I have a mixed bunch of starters on all mine. Did you find starter bolts yet? That little one in the block can be any brand but I do like to get grade 2 or 5 just to be safe. Its crazy to think something like that little brace does so much. Any chance you have a blind tap you can clean up the threads in the block for that #3 bolt...can't hurt if it hasn't had a bolt in it for a long time it might have dirt or something in it. The starter bolts might be a good idea to clean those threads up too.

87cr250r

" If you ever worked on old Yamahas, you know they used Phillips head screw bolts."

No Phillips screws on a Japanese bike. They are JIS cross screws. A Phillips screwdriver has the wrong profile and will strip JIS screws. However, a JIS screwdriver fits Phillips screws much better than a Phillips driver does. I strongly recommend throwing out all of your Phillips drivers and getting a good JIS set.

Screenshot_20231030-102041.png

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
" If you ever worked on old Yamahas, you know they used Phillips head screw bolts."

No Phillips screws on a Japanese bike. They are JIS cross screws. A Phillips screwdriver has the wrong profile and will strip JIS screws. However, a JIS screwdriver fits Phillips screws much better than a Phillips driver does. I strongly recommend throwing out all of your Phillips drivers and getting a good JIS set.

View attachment 909440
Phillips #2s will destroy the brass screws in Mikuni carburetors and leave you struggling with needle nose vice grips. Best practice is to tap the JIS against them with a hammer a few times before applying a ton of pressure while turning the screwdriver with a wrench. Once that butter-grade metal is out, replace it all with stainless socket heads...

You know, since we were talking about Yamahas. I've worked on one or two.

87cr250r

My bike history:

2x 1970 Honda CT 90
1986 Yamaha TT225
1987 Honda CR250R
2005 Yamaha R1
2001 Yamaha YZ250
2018 Yamaha MT-10
2001 Honda XR650R

Current garage has both 2001 bikes. Guess which bike is still my favorite? My neighbor has one he is offering for free but it's so expensive and time consuming to keep those older bikes running.

Big fan of the Japanese bikes. I used to replace the "Phillips" screws with socket head until I learned about the JIS drivers wayyy to late. Every time I buy a new bike I usually spend around $100 replacing oddball screws with OEM. The JIS system is amazing because it requires only a few wrenches to service everything. No 11mm, 13mm, 15, 16, 18 heads on my bikes.

cucvrus

I must be old. The only good bikes I ever owned were Yamahas prior to 1977 model year. When they went with mono shock I lost interest. The old 2 strokes from the 60cc to the single cylinder 500 ruled the trails. Nothing like getting hurled helplessly thru the woods on a 500 2 stroke. Be Safe. I never heard of the screw drivers you were talking of same as some didn’t know GM Phillips screws are Posi -drive and not standard Phillips.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
True but he's using gas engines as an example that it's common to shim a 6.2...do you shim your starters?

cucvrus

True but he's using gas engines as an example that it's common to shim a 6.2...do you shim your starters?

I have had to shim a few CUCV starters. But not many. Early on the first CUCV's I bought many were missing the support brackets and a few had broken starter bolts. I used to remove the solenoid and measure the engagement of the gear into the ring gear/flexplate. Then I learned a lot about milling and starters for CUCV's. It was an expensive lesson. I milled a few flexplates on a few trucks before I got it right and learned. I had a 1988 Chevrolet V3500 and I was always having trouble with starters. It was a 350 gas and a TH400. I was plowing snow, and it was a really bad storm. I had been plowing about 8 hours and shut the truck off and refueled it. It seemed to bind when I restarted it, and I went back to plowing. 5 minutes later the truck burst into flames and the wiring harness positive battery cable was glowing red. It had dual batteries and I got out and watched it burn up in a big white out snowstorm. The starter was stuck out in the flexplate and I never knew it. That was the end of a nice low mileage truck that had A/C and a factory stereo. So, I do believe in shims and have had negative results at times.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Then I learned a lot about milling and starters for CUCV's. It was an expensive lesson. I milled a few flexplates on a few trucks before I got it right and learned.
Milling as in machining? What exactly had to be milled? Please elaborate...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks