• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter motor running in run position

erasedhammer

I was going down the road heading home and accidentally hit the curb, felt hard, pulled over checked everything I can possibly think to check and nothing was wrong mechanically.

Get back in to get off the road and turn the key to run and immediately the engine starts and the starter motor stays on.
I immediately turn the truck off and look at the ignition wiring. Everything is hooked up correctly. I unplug the crank wire and turn the key to run and the glow plugs warm and everything is fine. It's only when the crank wire is connected that the starter motor runs in the run position.

This happened over a 1 minute period and nothing changes he's except that the truck got a decent jolt to it.

Could it have knocked some wire loose in the starting system or something? I'm waiting for AAA but i rather not have a dead Humvee sitting haphazardly in my driveway dead.

Update:
Got the truck home, it's just chilling in my driveway. Noticed another small problem. The fuel filter is leaking a small amount of diesel from the bottom tube. That tube appears to just run up to the wheel well and just terminate? I'll be tightening the connector on that tomorrow and replacing the hose clamp to see if that fixes it...
I apparently hit that curb harder than I thought ...

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you disconnect the crank wire? At the starter or at the ignition switch?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it cranks with the switch connected and does not with it disconnected, the switch is defective. Now I see your switch is aftermarket, failure of that is not unusual.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful and do not strip your flywheel.

Disconnect the batteries and wait 10 minutes prior to replacing the switch!!!!!!!!

Best,

T

ikoinu

Had an aftermarket keyed one go bad on me too.
You know because when you turn it to on it will bump the starter. Give it a week more and when you do the same it immediately starts cranking in the run position.

Don't make them like they used to ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks