• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter motor stuck cranking over - Burned up starter motor

JMF20

1988 M998 Starter motor stuck while cranking over, pull the seat as fast as I could to disconnect the batteries.
Apparently I was not fast enough. When I went to connect the battery cables, I got a lot more spark than normal. (should be none)
The starter got stuck on me once before a couple weeks back but it came out of it before I could disconnect the batteries.

Ohm'd out the positive lug on the starter motor and the negative on the starter motor and I have continuity..... No beuno.

This happened two years ago, the bendix got stuck in the flywheel and burned up the starter motor in a spectacular fashion, melting the positive lug off the starter motor.
Since this happened, I believe it fried the Smart Start box as my wait light wasn't acting right. Crank, crank, crank, no start.
I ended up making a glow plug wiring harness and using a ford starter relay to a momentary push button switch, which has always worked for me in the past. (1983 suburban etc)
So here I am again with a junk starter motor....

Where is the best place, or only place? to get new brushes, etc for these 24V starters?
Do I just buy a civy 6.2 12v starter and see how long that lasts?
I have 2 (two) 24v .mil starter motor cores now so I guess that will help pay for the repair/replacement.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not surprised that you got a lot of spark when disconnecting the battery cables. If you disconnect the cables while the starter is engaged, there is a very large amount of current flowing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not surprised that you got a lot of spark when disconnecting the battery cables. If you disconnect the cables while the starter is engaged, there is a very large amount of current flowing.
He said he got a large spark when re-connecting the cables..

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my first thought would be check your local area and see if there are any starter rebuild shops nearby. It's usually a lot cheaper to rebuild rather than replace, but not always.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are too light weight for my taste, 1000A for 3 seconds is the answer I got when I inquired.
How about 2500A for 10 seconds, love these Hella switches and the are keyed!
Hella.jpg

JMF20

I like the looks of that manual cutoff switch, got a link?

As for fixing my starter motor, where can I buy parts to rebuild it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks