• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter not turning over

cam7002

Hey, everyone. So I have two CUCVs. One had a good starter. I took the "bad" starter off the CUCV that would not start, and I put in its place the "good" starter from the one that did start (but that appears to have an injector problem -- clackety clack!).

So once I had the good starter in the M1009, I tightened all the nuts and bolts. I checked them and I double checked them. The bracket is firmly bolted to the vehicle as well. The batteries are new, and they have 950 amps of cranking power apiece. They are properly connected, and the nuts are tightened.

I turned the key to the "on" position. One generator light came on, and the other did not. The glow plug relay clicked and the "wait" light went out according to convention. All the instrument panel lights appeared to be functioning well, except that only one generator light was lit.

I turned it over, and the starter did not crank. Nothing. There was an appropriate click on the starter relay under the dash, which I had pulled down to jump the purple and red wires. To do this, I took a 14 gauge wire and jammed it into the relay slots for red and purple. Nothing. Key was in the on position.

So I turned on the headlights to ensure that the bus bar under the hood was working, and the headlights all came on as they should.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really welcome some guidance as my patience is not at, but is nearing, the end. :evil:

Thanks, everyone!

stump

Test the starter sylonid on the starter. You can use a push botton switch hocked to the positive wire on the starter and the trigger wire on the sylonid and see if it turns over. That will tell if you have any electrical problems to the starter or a problem with the starter.

cam7002

Thanks for the replies. I've been out at Ocracoke and I just got back. I'll give it a whirl in the morning! Sure wish I had one of those with me down on the beach.

cam7002

Sounds like something in the 24V buss... check the 24V fuse in the fusebox.

Later,
Joe
Joe, when you say "the 24V fuse in the fuse box", I am not seeing that in my fuse box or in the diagrams for the fuse box. I see a 28V 10A relay, and I see a couple of 20A fuses, but I do not see a 24V fuse. Can you help me out with that?

I am attaching a pdf with the fuse box diagram. Which one are you referring to? Thanks!

Attachments

Blood_of_Tyrants

There is a 12 vdc relay between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid that energizes the solenoid with 24 volts. You can easily bypass it by shorting the battery terminal to your starter to the small solenoid terminal using a screwdriver. If the starter turns over when bypassed, change that relay.

Crash_AF

It's the bottom-most fuse in the box and is labeled "28V" and is a 10A fuse.

I can't read your attached image on my netbook's screen so I can't give you any help from there... LOL

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks