• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter not turning!!

kcbbqguru

I did doghead modification and truck didn't start. Checked the wires and found a loose one, tighted it up and starter turned over. truck would not start. starter turned over 3-4 times then stopped turning over. it is a newer gear reduction model about 2 years old. starter BAD?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gear reduction starter? If your system is 24 volts you may have cooked that starter, unless, somehow it is a 24volt gear reduction starter?

Sorry, new information has come to my attention regarding the 24v gear reduction starter, disregard my prior transmission.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gear reduction starter come in 12 and 24v. I have a half dozen of the 24v out in the shop.

the purple/white wire will have 12v when the key is in the start position. The black wire is ground.

the red wire should be 24v at all times. The purple wire should have 24v ONLY when the relay is engaged.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Gear reduction starter come in 12 and 24v. I have a half dozen of the 24v out in the shop.

the purple/white wire will have 12v when the key is in the start position. The black wire is ground.

the red wire should be 24v at all times. The purple wire should have 24v ONLY when the relay is engaged.
Could I get a part number for a 24 volt variant?

kcbbqguru

Gear reduction starter? If your system is 24 volts you may have cooked that starter, unless, somehow it is a 24volt gear reduction starter?

Sorry, new information has come to my attention regarding the 24v gear reduction starter, disregard my prior transmission.
It's a 24 volt gear reduction, sorry don't know the part number

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could I get a part number for a 24 volt variant?
Heres the info:

24v 28MT Gear Reduction starter
GM - 10479611
NSN 2920-01-353-7036

NAPA - WIL 91014417

You will also need the dealer only support bracket for the GR starter

GM - 23502557

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
kcbbqguru, you may have a bad relay. I have seen new ones that are bad from the factory.

I'm guessing you have a multimeter and know how to use it.

You will need to check the voltages at the relay and at the starter.

How long have you had the gear reduction and where did it come from. There have been many reports of some import starters that are not worth the more that the scrap value.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks