• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter problem on my 6.2 M1009?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, A few days ago I went out to start my M1009. It has always cranked and started just fine. It cranked 3 times like normal then it died. I thought I had a battery problem since I hadn't started it in a month. I put my trickle charger on and charged both batteries overnight. Went out to start it next day and same problem. The batteries were at their 3 year warranty so I replaced them both. Tried to start it again and same problem. Cranks about 3 times just fine then acts like a dead battery. I went to make sure the battery cables were tight and when I touched the front positive side it was way to hot to touch. Does this mean I have a starter pulling to much current and I need to replace it?
Thanks for any suggestions.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, A few days ago I went out to start my M1009. It has always cranked and started just fine. It cranked 3 times like normal then it died. I thought I had a battery problem since I hadn't started it in a month. I put my trickle charger on and charged both batteries overnight. Went out to start it next day and same problem. The batteries were at their 3 year warranty so I replaced them both. Tried to start it again and same problem. Cranks about 3 times just fine then acts like a dead battery. I went to make sure the battery cables were tight and when I touched the front positive side it was way to hot to touch. Does this mean I have a starter pulling to much current and I need to replace it?
Thanks for any suggestions.
I'd check you're starter relay under the dash...see if it's clicking or getting the 24 volts going to the starter...make sure the ground to the block is solid as well.

Keith_J

If only one of the battery terminals are hot, that indicates a poor connection. If all terminals and wires are warm, this points to starter.
Terminals are hardened lead, a poor conductor compared to copper. Clean all terminals, including negative to ground as rusted steel is another poor conductor.

I've melted lead terminals due to poor contact.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all. Thanks, the battery terminals were all clean. I believe only the positive side on the front battery was hot but did not check the others. I did not get down and check the starter either. I will try the negative to ground and make sure it is clean. Thanks for all your help, and I will advise what I find.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

MarcusOReallyus

Terminals might be clean, but not well connected to the cable. That will generate heat. Cable might be well connected, but corroded a bit inside the jacket. That will generate heat.

Any poor connection will generate heat.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I've looked at the helpful threads on starters but not sure where to check the voltage?
The relay is under the dash...2 big wires and 2 smaller ones...pretty simple setup...if you have a temp heat gun how hot is hot...that front positive battery is the jump to make the 24 volts...cranking for a long time can get it warm...is it a normal double end cable or a loose ended replacement...the cables need to be right or it gets mad trying to start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks