• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Problems: Help With Diagrams

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It would be great if you guys used correct terminology for these troubleshooting threads!

It sounds to me like the start button and relay both have issues. You can pull the plug off the back of the button and use a test lead to test it, you'll have to simply swap out the relay to test it.

After that, you'll have to trace the wires to see if there is an open or a short(though I doubt those are your issue).

rustystud

I would check out the start relay. This is the relay that is mounted to the block just above the starter. I bet the contacts are stuck together. This is causing your starter to run even after starting. Remember the solenoid on the starter itself is just for engaging the bendix. It is not the start relay.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a "sticking" magnetic starter relay . You can test the magnetic start relay and see if this is true or not. Disconnect the wires from the magnetic start # "A" and "B". These are the wires that energize the starter solenoid. Wire #214 connects directly to the starter solonoid, so disconnect it. Now connect your OHM METER to thhe tgwo contacts on the magnetic starter relay you previously disconnected, that is, contacts "A', and "B".

In this way you will be able to see if the magnetic starter relay contacts are sticking. Have your assistant push the start button, the ohm meter will show continuity. Release the start button, the ohm meter will show no continuity. Do this over and over again. and the ohm meter will show you if the relay is closing its contacts when you push the button, or not.

The second test will be the starter soloniod. if its "sticking" first, reconnect the wires to the relay , A & B. Then disconnect the wire 214 from the starter solenoid at the solenoid terminal # 1. Now make a " jumper" wire. Connect one end of the jumper wire from MAGNETIC STARTER RELAY , terminal "A". ( alligator clip type jumpers are a good choice here ) Hold the other end of your jumpoer in the ready...Tell your assistant to push the start button, and then momentarily touch your jumper to starter solonoid terninal #1 The solonoid should then energize the starter ( the engine may start, so dont be alarmed. Quickly remove your jumper form the starter solonoid. The starter motor should stop cranking. Do this over and over again and observe if the starter starts itself without your jumpering the solonoid. ) Keep us all posted ...

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Start button first, it is cheaper. Then go to the relay. You should also inspect the small wire that goes to the top of the relay. If it is frayed and the insulation is gone right next to another wire that gets power when the master switch is turned on, you can be jumping power from one wire to another.

Stranger

It would be great if you guys used correct terminology for these troubleshooting threads!

It sounds to me like the start button and relay both have issues. You can pull the plug off the back of the button and use a test lead to test it, you'll have to simply swap out the relay to test it.

After that, you'll have to trace the wires to see if there is an open or a short(though I doubt those are your issue).
I am still trying to figure out the correct terminology. If I type something confusing or use the wrong terminology please let me know.

Update 3.

If I disconnect the plug from the back of start button the starter stops running. That would seem to indicate that the problem is with the start button. HOWEVER, the start button tests to be "working correctly"! When I run leads to the back of the start button it shows an open circuit (no continuity) when it is not pushed and a closed circuit (continuity) when it is pushed. This perplexes me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Maybe the issue is in the plug that goes on the starter button? A short there would cause your issue too.

Yes, your test of the starter button sounds like its ok.

EDIT, also, if memory serves, the stater relay on the side of the block can be taken apart. Might want to open yours up and have a look at the contacts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks