• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter problems m818

Tranham

Went to start my m818 a couple days ago and it try's to turn over but won't. Looked at it closer today and here is the exact issue. IMO it has enough juice. The starter sounds strong but It's still not turning over the engine. you can watch the fan move a few inches when you hit the starter. The starter sounds like it's not fully engaging the teeth on the fly wheel. A quick bunch of bangs 4-5 per second, does not sound right. Anyone else ever have this?

Csm Davis

Went to start my m818 a couple days ago and it try's to turn over but won't. Looked at it closer today and here is the exact issue. IMO it has enough juice. The starter sounds strong but It's still not turning over the engine. you can watch the fan move a few inches when you hit the starter. The starter sounds like it's not fully engaging the teeth on the fly wheel. A quick bunch of bangs 4-5 per second, does not sound right. Anyone else ever have this?
Yes and not enough juice is the problem

Tranham

Ok. Yes I assumed incorrectly. Checked one battery at 11.8 v. Will charge and see. Wish I had bought a 24v charger!

Thanks all

74M35A2

Even 12.0 volt is about 80% discharged. Fully charged and healthy battery should show about 12.8v open circuit voltage. If you measure voltage at the starter during cranking, it should not drop below 20.0v otherwise the battery/cable/connection system is weak. I have new gear reduction starters on sale for cheap right now that pull 50 amps less if you find you are in need of a starter. Make sure your alternator is charging correctly once you get it fired up.

catskillpond

Take every cable you have from the batteries to the starter clean them with a small wire brush even the short cable at the starter to the solenoid . Check the cannon plug at the control box also the battery switch wire that runs from the control box to the battery switch. Stupid way get the truck running and turn on all the lights with a load to check the alternator output

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks