• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter problems

rtl434

I have searched other similiar theads but still don't understand what is happining with my starter. It will not turn over using the starter switch but if I run cables from the battery directly to the solenoid it will then start by using the starter switch. Is this a relay problem, a solenoid problem or ? Thanks.

Last edited:

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rtl434,
I have had this problem in the past with several of my deuces. When the weather gets cold I experience the starter relay not functioning and I take my push button jumper across the solenoid to start the truck. In warmer weather I do not have the problem.
I addressed this problem in a thread last winter.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have eliminated the solenoid as a problem when you connected cables directly to the solenoid. You either have a relay problem or a poor cable connection(s) between battery and relay or relay and solenoid. I would pull each cable and thoroughly clean the contacting areas involved. If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the relay.

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2010.

RTL434 & others:aua

If your problem is in the starter solenoid, it is because there are two sets of contacts that must make contact to motor the starter and engage the Bendix. If either malfunctions due to wear, the starter will not kick. This is usually due to mechanical wear and age. The solution is to remove the starter, locate the maker of the starter and model on the builders plate, and contact the usual suspects (Saturn, Memphis, White Owl) for replacements. The solenoid itself new should not run much over 65 or so dollars, neither should the relay immediately above it. If in doubt, replace the whole starter with a new one, White Owl lists them for $325.00 plus shipping, Memphis has them too.
We forget how much beating that the starter button, relay, solenoid and starters take in cranking over these large engines repeatedly, and age and temperature will take their toll on these components. The starter switch needs a diode added to it to divert the back EMF caused by the starter motor when you let the switch go. Once you stop powering the starter motor, it becomes a DC generator while it's winding down, and guess where the surge likes to arc.....? The push button contacts!
Doghead has a article on here about replacing the CUCV starter relay, and his diagram includes the number and positioning of the diode to protect the starter switch from the REMF.
If your engine starts at 32-33-34*F and above consistently, but not at 31*F or below, suspect the starter solenoid first, then the relay and lastly (or firstly, the push button. The starter systems on these trucks are relatively simple. My M35A2 in the photo has had that problem, but lately she has been starting 6 out of 7 starts at below 32*F temperature, so I think the gremlin moved to Acapulco or somewhere, and just checks in for laughs now and then. The truck would NEVER start below 32*F, so the general consensus is- it's the solenoid. The solenoids are not interchangeable between starter motors of different manufactures, so that is WHY you have to check the starter builders plate to get the right one......

Good luck and happy motoring....

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)nopics