• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter problems

big hoss

I just replaced the transmission in the truck, now i hop in and try and start it all you hear is the selonoid engage. When you by pass the selonoid you can hear it spin. Is the problem just the selonoid? Also the voltage drop on the other side of the selonoid is 3 volts.

dmetalmiki

WHOA there!..before anything else check the RELAY .thats the gizmo between the starter solenoid and the batteries.

Check the TM and or visual it.
It is located on the Engine Block Rear.
(ang' on I'll get my n lad to take a pic (even tho' its 11pm here and dark)........ok here is the Photo of solonoid You Need to attend to ok. (it wasn't cold out, in breifs! just lovley and cool after a Really hot day (for once)

Attachments

dmetalmiki

Those solonoids can give the problems you are experiencing. Slightly loose /dirty terminals and or BAD EARTH (Ground) cause that too.

DISCONNECT BATTERIES before checking removing cleaning contacts, or working with TOOLS aroung those TERMINALS as there is SERIOUSE AMPS avaliable right there at that point. Good luck let us know how it resolved.

big hoss

no. I have a push button. Its a cable running from the batt to the selonoid on the starter. And then a button wired in to the selonoid

dmetalmiki

Unless anyone knows different chime in please, We checked ALL our deuces and the 2 five tons..ALL of e'm got STARTER relays BEFORE thier Engage Solonenoids. That "button?" is that a relay? only other contact that gives trouble in the STARTER ENGAGE solonoid it at the end of the SOLONOID SPRING (shuttle) where there are TWO heavy duty P.B. contacts. if they are DIRTY then CLUNK in goes the solonoid SLAMS the (two) contacts shut completes the circuit OR NOT IF DIRTY/CORRODED and starter revovles (in mesh with the flywheel.

Seth_O

no. I have a push button. Its a cable running from the batt to the selonoid on the starter. And then a button wired in to the selonoid
I have a '67 JeepKaiser and no relay on my block. What you're describing sounds like a bad ground. I would disconnect the batteries and make sure you have all your grounds cleaned and attached - I believe there is a ground strap on the bellhousing adapter ring - did that get cleaned up and reinstalled in it's original location when you installed the new tranny?

dmetalmiki

So in your case the shuttle is (was) going into mesh the starter gear with the ring gear. BUT NOT then rotating? those two contacts may not be "MAKING"..(sometimes with no tow avaliable we have held the starter button (solenonoid in mesh) then someone else "taps" the starter/solonoid Case enough to "jump/bump" those two contacts through the burns/dirt/corrosion just enough to complete the circuit enabling the starter amarture to rotate in mesh and thus fire up the engine. Let us know how you get this solved. and we hope the descriptions given help you visualise somewhat the innards of the workings going on. (or not!)