• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter relay mod didn't fix problem

mudmagnet63

M1009 replaced the starter relay, new starter, now the relay is still hot. we pulled the ignition switch off the stering colum and replaced it and still hot. now what?

thanks Mud

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is hot? What starter did you install? Was it a Doghead Relay upgrade?

Did you fix the other issues from your other posts?

We need more details when you ask for help.

Replacing the relay will not cure everything....:wink:

mudmagnet63

I had the origional D/R 24 votl starter rebuilt. doghead mod on starter relay but the purple with white stripe wire from the ignition is still hot. we can start the blazer by touching the P/W wire to the relay. their has been no other issues other than the starter relay.

thanks mud

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hot as in temperature or hot as in it has voltage all the time?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have a problem and that's why you changed all the parts listed above, or just do all this work and now have a problem?

Does your key rotate as it should?

mudmagnet63

The mod was done because of bad relay that burnt up the starter. My brother ( his ride not mine ) started by replacing the ignition switch. Then called me to look on the S/S site for a cure when the ignition switch didn't work. Then came the Doghead mod. Now the purple / white is always hot ( 12V all the time not temp ). We guessed the offending wire is fused to a hot ( 12v not temp ) wire in the harness.

The cure we used is to install a 12V pushbutton switch. Coming from the purple / white wire that is always hot thru the switch back to the starter relay. Now he has to turn the key on and push the button to start his ride. I know it's not the right way but it's his ride so I guess he's happy.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue before?

Thanks
Mud

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a good chance the wires are melted and shorted somewhere. (obviously)

Sorry, I can't pin point it any better.

Sam27

Not to hijack, but is there an original post on this relay mod someone can point me to? I'm not clear on what it is and what problem it is trying to solve. I've been searching but everything I've found refers to it as though everyone already knows what it is. Thanks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack, but is there an original post on this relay mod someone can point me to? I'm not clear on what it is and what problem it is trying to solve. I've been searching but everything I've found refers to it as though everyone already knows what it is. Thanks.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/32943-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

It replaces the troublesome under-dash starter relay with one that will save you from having a starter run-on that will ruin your starter and wiring. If you own a CUCV, you should do this.

CycleJay

Hello Mudmagnet,

Post a photo of how you wired your new relay, so we can compare it,
to a photo of the correctly wired relay.

Good day,

CJ

epartsman

The Doghead Mod is tried, proven to work, and be reliable unfortunately however the CUCV's I have learned are prone to electrical gremlins that are easily eradicated with patience and by following the TM's. Thanks Doghead!!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CJ, His issue is not the new relay or how it's wired. His trouble is most likely damage to his wiring that occurred when his original relay failed(on).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks