• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Relay Rattle?

The Baron

I have a 1984 M1009, and have done the Doghead relay modification. The starter will not turn. When I turn the key the starter relay begins to make a rattling sound. I tried replacing the relay and it made no difference. From what I have read this may be due to bad batteries. A week ago I took my 5 year old batteries in to Autozone to have them tested and they tested out as good. I have cleaned the battery terminals as well. Is there a possibility this test was wrong and the batteries are bad? Any ideas what may be wrong?

Jeeperjoe

Did they give you a CCA reading on the Batts? That could be the issue.. otherwise I'm no real help here

By rattle do you mean fast clicking? If so sounds like bad Batts

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they load test them or just slap a voltmeter on it?
A battery will read fine, but fail a load test.
Since yours are 5 years old anyway I would replace them.

cucvrus

Just load test them. I have 5 year old batteries in one of my M1009's and it starts fine. i will think about getting new ones when they don't load test anymore. I have a tool that checks all the CCA and such. It was a bit expensive but it has lasted a long time. But yes load testing is needed. getting 12 volts means nothing. I see guys arc a screw driver across the posts and if it snaps they say the battery is good. Not the case.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 years in the battery world is a long time.
I know some can and do last longer (like yours), but I would still recommend replacement.
The older the battery, the greater the chance it will leave you stranded. Usually at the worst possible time.

Good battery's, with a full charge, makes troubleshooting CUCV issues a whole lot easier.

I would rather replace them early and continue driving, than try and wring the life out of them and have to maybe walk later.

When they fail, they are DRT. (Dead Right There).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks