• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter/Solenoid Lever Cotter Key Broke - Problem found?

IronDeuce

Well its a long story, but last week we went to hop in the truck (after it was just running) and start it up when the starter would just spin, and not engage.

Today we tore off the solenoid, checked it out (copper washer specifically), re-installed, and then yanked the whole starter assembly since it still didnt work.

We brought it home and began full disaseembly of the unit. Onto the table fell the piece of the cotter pin found in photo 1 below.

We did some more investigating, and it looks like this was a part of the pin the engaged the Bendix from the Solenoid to engage the fly wheel. Further photos illustrate what we're referring to.

This brings up a few questions:
1. How in the heck are we supposed to get the lever (that looks to be beat to crap!) out to install a new cotter? It looks like the entire housing was cast around it - no clean breaking point in sight - and wont slide out, even with the pin that holds the assembly removed.

2. Anyone else ever seen this?

3. I'm guessing we need a whole new starter assembly. Any suggestions on a good place to pick one up on the cheap?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

IronDeuce

Thanks for the TM's! The part that I'm most confused by is how to remove the shaft housing over the starter gear.

All of the TM's look to have 6 Hex/Allen head screws that mate the housing to the rest of the starter. All mine has is smooth casted metal over the entire part.

Anyone else ever been in this boat?