• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter solenoid problems...

KSBOB

1986 CUCV M1009, modified with pushbutton for glow plugs. I was trying to start it and the starter stopped engaging the ring gear. It does spin up very nicely just no rotation to motor. Thoughts?

I suspect the Solenoid. Does anyone have a part number that a parts store would recognize?

The only other thing I can think is either a failure of the ring gear or the bendix, are these common failures? I know the only way to know is to look. I would however like to have the starter solenoid on hand if that is most likely my issue.

Thanks in advance. I need my truck back, the camper is no fun as a daily driver in traffic. :lol:

IRWFO

Re: RE: Starter solenoid problems...

Boatcarpenter said:
If it spins I believe the solenoid is good. If it doesn't engage I suspect bendix drive or low batteries, not enough juice to kick it out fully to engage.
I agree.

I've been having similar problems with my starter.

From what I've been told, and poking around here looking at other threads, if it's spinning, it's most likely not the solenoid.

Someone mentioned in a thread that the ring gear on these starters does fail, and can cause it to spin but not turn the engine. I can't dig up the link at the moment, but perhaps someone else can find it. I think the fix was to have a decent shop do a rebuild.

mangus580

I have heard (not sure how true it is) that diesels have a tendency to stop in a few specific spots. Therefore, the same few spots on the flex plate get worn out. (This could be totally wrong btw). You could be missing teeth on the flex plate... which I doubt.

First thing I would check, is make sure the starter is bolted in properly, including the 'rear starter support' at the engine front of the starter. If its in there good, pull it out, take it to a starter shop, and have it tested. I would also have your batteries tested at this point. I suspect you are due for a starter rebuild.

KSBOB

Thanks guys, I will put it on the lift and dig in this weekend. If it is the ring gear I am taking it to my tranny guy to have a new flexplate put on. Will post the ultimate
resolution.

Rob

Hasdrubal

Just dealt with starter woes on my 86 M1009. Starter was so worn that bearings were gone,bendix was weak. Got a rebuild kit for 40 bucks, has brushes, bendix, bearings etc. Very fast cranking now. Seems like most of these CUCV's have shot starters.

mangus580

Why take it to the tranny guy? a flex plate change isnt that bad....

get a floor jack, and 4 long 3/8-16 bolts (threaded rod will work)

support tranny/tcase at crossmember

unbolt crossmember from frame

remove bell housing bolts

replace lower four bolts with long bolts/threaded rod...

slide assembly back on the bolts

change flex plate (dont forget to remove the toque converter bolts)