• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter stays engaged

Joeinderry

A couple weeks ago I went to crank my deuce (no fuel issue). Anyway I was pressing the start button and let go but the starter kept turning. I disconnected the batteries. I went out the next day and connected the batteries and the starter started up again. What could be the issue with this? Thanks for any help.

Dipstick

Digger is right. I just replaced my starter due to this problem. In my case, I think the two wires from the starter switch shorted together. Everything else tested out fine. I ran a new wire from the start switch directly to the top left terminal on the mag starter. I was happy to find that my new 6TL batteries and my ring gear were still good.

Dipstick

Thanks Digger! The first starter I got was the wrong one. I returned it. The second was on the money. The worst part was that the apartment complex I live at wanted to seal coat the parking lot. They were having fits. Wanted to push it up a hill. I told them that if this truck rolls back on them they'll look like beef jerky strips. Not to mention I'd have no power steering or lights. I made my own battery cables and rewired the start button circuit. Had a fun test drive with my son (a few Boy Scouts really were exited about him) only to find that my right rear axle seal is leaking. Darn!

Joeinderry

I disconnected the start button, the starter stayed engaged. I disconnected the relay and starter still was engaged. I then disconnected solenoid and starter was still engaged. At this point only the main power and ground are connected and starter still engages. Must be a short internally. I removed starter to replace with another from my parts truck. Thanks for the advice and help.

Dipstick

Or the solenoid is stuck in the "on" position. Glad to hear you have a replacement starter handy. It's much easier to change the starter if you remove the air cleaner and exhaust flex pipe from the turbo and J-pipe. I passed a cable with eyes trough the space between the solenoid and the starter body and lowered it into place from above with the hook end of a 3" ratchet strap. Good luck with your repair and don't forget starter and exhaust gaskets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks