• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Sticking

ilovemyblazer

My starter keeps sticking and its pissing me off. Just put the new gear reduction starter in yesterday, had put in a new relay (CUCV Electric) before that. The starter work a few times without sticking, but then just started to. Now I cant reconnect the batteries because the starter engages instantly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you replaced/upgraded your under-dash starter relay? (aka, doghead relay mod)

Keith_J

The under dash relay has been replaced? Could also be the starter itself as it too has a relay solenoid but they usually fail open, not closed like the under dash unit.

Pull the under dash relay and see if the starter still engages with reconnection of the battery. A battery disconnect switch would be beneficial in this test to avoid vaporizing battery terminals.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A battery disconnect switch, used incorrectly in this case, will cause more damge that it will prohibit.

ilovemyblazer

Have you replaced/upgraded your under-dash starter relay? (aka, doghead relay mod)
Replaced the under dash relay with the one I ordered from CUCV Electric. To my understanding that is the same thing at the doghead relay mod? I do not have a battery quick disconnect, but since this is happening I was thinking of it. The starter is not even 24 hours old, and it works as it should other than the sticking.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you accidentally allow the wires on the starter to touch? Small one to the big one?

Post a pic of the relay you installed. I don't know what CUCV E has or what you received.

cpf240

The under dash starter relay from CUCV Electric is not the same as the Doghead mod. The CUCV Electric relay is a heavier duty replacement for the stock relay. The Doghead mod is a much *heavier* duty relay.

Couldn't a battery disconnect switch be placed on the cable that runs from the positive side of the 24v buss to the starter? I don't see how this could cause any problems like those seen when placing the disconnect switch directly on the battery cables. This would allow for isolation of the starter.

As mentioned before, try disconnecting the under dash starter relay and then reconnect the batteries. If the starter still engages at that point, than the solenoid mounted on the starter is bad. Are you certain that the solenoid is rated for 24v? That is a common mix up with replacement starters.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couldn't a battery disconnect switch be placed on the cable that runs from the positive side of the 24v buss to the starter? I don't see how this could cause any problems like those seen when placing the disconnect switch directly on the battery cables. This would allow for isolation of the starter.
You'd need to do more. Once the Bendix has the starter(mounted) relay closed, you have a circuit there(small purple wire) that could continue the action/load. That would be devastating.

Also need to disconnect the negative on the front and rear battery during a run-on, to eliminate any damage.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just do the Doghead relay mod, and you'll be fine(no worry about starter run-on).

ilovemyblazer

Here is a pic or the relay, it looks just like the old one only shinier. The starter is from DB Electrical and is 24v and made for the cucv's, even said so on their page. I did ALL of the electrical work with the batteries disconnected and did not cross any wires.

I do not understand how a relay can go bad after like 10 starts. If my ****ty luck continues with this truck you guys might see a cheap M1008 in the classifieds.. aua

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the forums. I didn't dream up the DH relay mod, just to keep people busy...

It resolves a fatal flaw with the stock system.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

wayne pick

If you go back to your thead on 7-24-12, "New starter confusion" In my post #9 and the last in the thread, I had advised you to perform the doghead mod before you install a new starter. That being said, You purchased the same original equpment crap relay from CUCV electrical. The doghead relay is a 200amp relay, It snaps when the starter is ingaged, it does not sizzle like a 4th of July sparkler like the original. Your choice, sizzle and burn, or start. I did this mod a few days after I got my truck.

ilovemyblazer

Ok, I did the doghead mod and it works great. Thanks for the advice. Next thing is when I turn the key the starter spins but does not engage with the flywheel, I can here it and it sounds like it spins nice and freely but it just doesnt go out to meet with the flywheel. Did I just burn through my new starter?

wayne pick

You must have wired the solinoid right as the starter is spinning. Tap, I mean tap on the starter lightly with a medium sized ball peen hammer while trying to start it. In park, E brake mashed to the floor. You may have gotten the starter solinoid hot, now IT sticks. See how you have to listen to advice? I didn't at your age but learned quickly and expensively. Be careful when working under the truck.

(ILOVEMYBLAZER) Welcome to the site,LISTEN TO THESE GUYS THEY WONT STEER YOU WRONG.I have two m1008s, One was still stock thank goodness,no one has butchered it.However my other m1008 that truck has been fun.New Starter,New alternators,Belts powersteering pump,power steering hoses,New steering gear box and soon to have a new harmonic balancer. I feel your pain but it does get better.Im 33 i love turning wrenches on these things they are easy to work on once you get the hang of it.Dont give up on your m1008 just yet it can be frustrating to say the least.But these trucks are like women they require attention.Good luck with your m1008,You will be fine you got all of us and the Tm's:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks