• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter stuck running.

ill1cit

Hey guys, I went to start the Hmmwv this morning and I noticed a whining noise so I shut it back off. To my surprise when I shut it off the starter is staying on. The only way to shut it off was disconnecting the battery cables. With the ignition switch off the starter comes back on as soon as I connect the battery cables again.
I bought it 8 months ago and the PO had just replaced the starter with a rebuilt one. It would occasionally make a grinding sound when starting it after the engine was hot when starting, but that cleared up after I installed a grounding harness several months ago. Also I put a guard dawg keyless ignition system in it several months ago.
My question is, is the rebuilt starter toast or is there something else that could cause this? I’m not home at the moment but before I left I disconnected the 3 wires on the back of the ignition switch but still left the keyless module connected and the starter still comes on when I connect the battery cables. When I get home I’m going to completely remove the keyless module to see if it’s the problem or not.
Any suggestions or anything I need to check? Thanks.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like either the starter solenoid is stuck or somewhere a wire is giving it the start signal.

The starter itself is probably fine, would need a new solenoid if that's the issue.

ill1cit

sounds like either the starter solenoid is stuck or somewhere a wire is giving it the start signal.

The starter itself is probably fine, would need a new solenoid if that's the issue.
It ended up being the guard dawg keyless system. I completely removed it and it's fine now. That was a waste of $350.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It ended up being the guard dawg keyless system. I completely removed it and it's fine now. That was a waste of $350.
when did you buy? Did you buy it from us? If so, send it back and will get you out a new one...I’ve seen this issue on trucks without the Guard Dawg installed, the ignition switch was bad, on another truck, the solenoid was bad on the truck.

ill1cit

when did you buy? Did you buy it from us? If so, send it back and will get you out a new one...I’ve seen this issue on trucks without the Guard Dawg installed, the ignition switch was bad, on another truck, the solenoid was bad on the truck.
I bought it from digital_guard_dawg on eBay back in June. I sent them a message letting them know what happened asking if I could get a replacement or this one fixed.

Last edited: