• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Support Bracket

Midnight Rider

What size/type is the bolt that goes in the starter support bracket? It's #3 in the picture.

I've got the bracket, but the bolt must have come loose and dropped out.

Well I'm having problems attaching the picture.

The picture is on page 253 in the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

Well it looks like the picture got attached somehow.

I also forgot to mention that I did search, but I didn't see anyone mentioning the bolt, just saying that the bracket should be there.

Somemedic

Stang aint kidding. Drive it around for a week or 2 w/o that support and you will be drilling on the starter bolts with your set of easy outs, 6 mos tops.

Ask me how I know...

Midnight Rider

Stang aint kidding. Drive it around for a week or 2 w/o that support and you will be drilling on the starter bolts with your set of easy outs, 6 mos tops.

Ask me how I know...
Well it's been about a week now. So I now know I am pushing my luck.

It is a 8mm x 1.25 bolt, 20mm long with a 13mm head.

Walter
Thank you, thank you. That's what I've been looking for. None of the online parts dealers had that part listed, that I could find.

Somemedic

Have to get from Chevy. Parts guy can get them from another dealer, theyre still quite available and can be had off ebay.

Order 6 and leave them in the glove box. 2 is never enough.

kenny

Ask me how I know...
ME to and another one of my friends found out the hard way except he broke more than bolts. his starter starter nose cone broke

Midnight Rider

It is a 8mm x 1.25 bolt, 20mm long with a 13mm head.

Walter
Dead on. I got that exact size and it fit perfectly. I put it in last night. No more rattle. It wasn't exactly easy to get to though.

Have to get from Chevy. Parts guy can get them from another dealer, theyre still quite available and can be had off ebay.

Order 6 and leave them in the glove box. 2 is never enough.
Chevy dealer told me that didn't carry that bolt since it wasn't unique. They only had the larger bolt that runs through the starter. I did buy a spare of that one. They told me to go to this local nut/bolt/etc... place since I had the size I needed.

D10

when i bought mine it didnt even have the bracket. still doesnt, does anybody know if you can buy that at the dealer as well. i put a new starter and flywheel on 2 months ago was fine at first but will grind now occationally not cool at all especially with the wife with me

kipman

I am using a gear reduction starter, about half the weight of the stock starter, anybody know if you need the bracket on this starter?

AJMBLAZER

I am using a gear reduction starter, about half the weight of the stock starter, anybody know if you need the bracket on this starter?
As in the GM 6.5L gear reduction starter?

If so then yes you need the 6.5L bracket.

Use the older, 6.2L starter bracket for the 6.2L starters and the newer, 6.5L starter bracket for the 6.5L gear reduction starters.

kipman

it is a new starter, not a 6.5 starter, weighs about 12 pounds, came from my rebuild guy in Lancaster, cost 200.00, but it is a good one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks