• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter switch upgrade

asgtoolman

To extend this thread a little; have any of you added a keyed switch in line ahead of the starter button for security/ safety purposes? I know some people add battery cut off switches out of sight for this purpose, but what about a key switch if I'm not concerned about being 100% military correct?

Jones

Key switches are a good idea and several vehicles had them. M-880s and CUCVs for instance.
True about not being 100% authentic in a deuce or five-ton; but they can always be installed out of sight if it's a big concern.
98% ORIGINAL IS BETTER THAN 100% GONE.

Heavysteven

I will always like the push to start. Just feels right. The only people that would notice a keyed switch would be another deuce owner. I say make your truck the way you want it.

treysoucie

this is the one i ended up going with. there was only two pronges in the back of this one so im not 100% sure how to hook it up. i looked at the way the old switch was wired up but the only plave i could find that would plug right up was towards the back of the dash skipping alot of the other wiring involved with the stock switch. quess i need to check the wiring diagram or find someone who has moved to this type of switch

Attachments

MuddinLove

The stock 4 hole switch is just 2 battery hot 24v and 2 to the starter solenoid. With a volt meter, or a light, determine which are 24v connect those 2 together and put in one hole of the new switch. Tie the other 2 together and put in the second hole of the new switch. I put a keyed switch in mine to be more kid friendly!

Attachments

Last edited:

treysoucie

there is a double prong connection towards the back of the fire wall that is connected to the wiring for the switch. I should have shot a pic. anyways i disconnected it and plugged the new switch directly up to it and it actually tried to fire. i didnt really clarify in the beginning but i am changing the switch becuase i think my stock one is bad, the truck is not starting just clicking so im assuming it is the solonoid at this point. im going to try and do what you were saying about combining 4 wires into two main out lets but i must say i am kind of surprised it tried to fire from where i plugged it in.

treysoucie

so i took your advice and found the two hot wires and the two that go to the solonoid. I connected them together and tried to " hot wire" it to see if she would fire up. well all she did was spark like crazy and get hot so i held them to the back of the switch to run the power through it and the same thing happened they just got hot and where sparking. i did not have a wiring diagram and im am not good with wiring so i just shot some pics and left her be.

Attachments

treysoucie

also the funny thing is in picture number three if you where to disconnect that plug and plug the smaller peice up top directly to the starter switch it tries to crank over but it is by passing all the other wires associated with the stock starter switch.. im not quite sure what that means but i am also in the process of removing the starter relay to check for faulty connections.

you guys see anything out of place before i take her apart?

Attachments