• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter turns when key out of ignition

Paycheck

So when I towed the rig home I pulled both alt,starter &relay for testing found bad realay and bad alt on passenger side replaced alt and relay the following pictures is the after math t thought I wired batt up wrong turned out the new alt was not a isolated ground unit please verify your parts I did with the auto parts store but he was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paycheck

So when I towed the rig home I pulled both alt,starter &relay for testing found bad realay and bad alt on passenger side replaced alt and relay the following pictures is the after math t thought I wired batt up wrong turned out the new alt was not a isolated ground unit please verify your parts I did with the auto parts store but he was wrong

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had an auto electrician walk me through testin g everything it appears the alternator I replaced is the culprit the parts store sold me a non isolated ground alternator auto parts store is paying for all the damages I just need to pony up for the new alternator I appreciate everyone's help thank you
There has to be more to it than using the wrong kind of alternator. At least I can't quite picture how it could make the starter activate.
Collateral damage from using the wrong alternator, perhaps, possibly combined with hooking up the batteries wrong? Getting 12 volts (and high amps) to the starter, in the process "welding" the starter relay and/or solenoid on the starter?

Paycheck

In the beginning the starter would not stop turning causing batteries to drain out,I pulled both batt for charging,pulled started assuming solenoid was stuck after test came back bad alt passenger side I purchased a new alt after putting everything to get her I assumed I had batteries hooked up wrong. Please forgive me I have been on several forums attempting to figure this problem out, all is done assuming I replace with isolated ground alternator everything should be fine. I post these so everyone seeing knows to be carful when replacing alt this was a Long process to diagnose this problem

Paycheck

Now new dog head relay installed and waiting for new alt
Didn't think to check doghead relay in beginning from what I've read these things are in fallible

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trouble shooting doesn't have to be performed "live". Using a 9 Volt battery is often enough when it's easier to have voltage in a circuit than measuring resistance...
Best bet is using resistance, to start isolating wires, when the starter is stuck engaged and lots of melted wires.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing is infallible, but that relay is very very dependable(depending on manufacturer and manufacturers quality).

And for what it's worth, it's a relay. Not a lawnmower relay, not a ford relay, just simply a relay. It's used in frieghtliner trucks, trains, busses, and maybe even the space shuttle.

It's a relay rated for 200 amps, used in place of one that was rated for 40 amps, and mechanically it is designed different that the original.

It is much more reliable and better designed for this application than the OEM relay.

Back to the issue... :rant:

Last edited:

Paycheck

Nothing is infallible, but that relay is very very dependable(depending on manufacturer and manufacturers quality).

And for what it's worth, it's a relay. Not a lawnmower relay, not a ford relay, just simply a relay. It's used in frieghtliner trucks, trains, busses, and maybe even the space shuttle.

It's a relay.

It is much more reliable and better designed for this application than the OEM relay.

Back to the issue... :rant:
I can definitely say this has been a learning experience I have learned a lot about the 24v system in the last few days I appreciate all the help and knowledge giving I have learned a lot I'll be adding liquid electric tape to the relay hoping to extend life

cucvrus

I still like the plug and play relays. Just never had a trouble with them. 22 years and still going. No reply needed. Do as you wish. I am convinced I have a good setup. Have I replaced a few relays? Yes. Do all things fail? Always have and always will. I have a very nice special relay I received and have been using. Plugged in and no exposed power points on a steel dash and cab area. Thank you my friend for these wonderful cube relays. I like them. I like them a lot. I owe you one.

cucvrus

Or just reach up and unplug the relay. End of story. It can be mounted 2 ways. Plug towards driver. Plug towards firewall. Firewall mounted plug unplugs with a gentle tug. All over. The END. Roll the film credits. Mic drop.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A battery disconnect poses several problems with these trucks during a starter run-on. I would not do it.

Rvitko

Having given serious thought to a battery cut off, it is more complicated than is practical, a 24V cut off is a big switch that is not easily mounted and not easily protected from shorts and just cutting off 12V during a run on can cause worse or further damage I have heard. When my run on happened the batteries shot out molten lead and acid, and it wasn't exactly like I wanted to be messing around with a shut off at the time and running it into the cab meant further potential failures from a cable rubbing through, being too long and higher resistance or a short across the terminals. In the end, I just rebuilt everything back to new, I already had done the doghead mod and I upgraded all the battery cables to one gauge up. It was a pain and time consuming, but now I just pay attention to the battery gauge and if it is in the yellow and not just when the glow plugs are running, I wouldn't turn the key. My issue was a fused solenoid contact on the starter and not the relay and my fatal flaw was keeping old crappy batteries because I wanted to do batteries last after I had everything else fixed so I would not potentially ruin batteries with a lot of down time on a vehicle I was working on. I would have been money ahead changing the batteries twice in hindsight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks