• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter warm-up?

74M35A2

High speed balanced armatures. Since they spin about 20,000rpm, they get balanced on the assembly line with a mill that comes in and removes weight where necessary to achieve the target balance threshold or less. It then re-spins it to make sure target level is achieved, or the armature is rejected. Due to this, they run very smooth, which means very quiet. Pic:

Attachments

Last edited:

Seth_O

High speed balanced armatures. Since they spin about 20,000rpm, they get balanced on the assembly line with a mill that comes in and removes weight where necessary to achieve the target balance threshold or less. It then re-spins it to make sure target level is achieved, or the armature is rejected. Due to this, they run very smooth, which means very quiet. Pic:
thats a sexy piece of equipment right there.....

Seth_O

Dropped the batteries off. One tested good and 89%, the other came back needing a charge and then a retest. Thats not promising.

rustystud

No, he said voltage at the starter dropped to a few volts. Your batteries are low to begin with. Charge them both well and repeat the test. Fully charged lead acid batteries should show 25.4-25.6v. Next step after that is to make sure the alternator is charging them when the engine is running. This should be any voltage higher than 25.6v.
OK I misread that as dropping a "few" volts like in 2 volts, not dropping "to" a few volts as in only 2 volts.

Seth_O

final tally after testing: one battery good, the other wont hold a charge. Looks like I am in the market for a new battery. sigh.

Last edited:

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to tractor supply get cheaper battery I got farm equipment batteries with over 1000 cca for $75 or go to Costco and buy some good batteries for 80 you get 5 year warranty

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a firm believer in using 6TLs. I've got two deuces with 6TLs installed. I never have a problem. One of the deuces still has the original 6TLs that came from the Army. They are now approaching 10 years age based on the date codes on the batteries and they appear to be as strong as ever. I always keep a 24V trickle charger hooked up to each and frequently check the electrolyte level, which should be done in all cases anyway. I also only use distilled water in the batteries. You can find Interstate 6TLs at lower prices if you shop around. Both of my deuces start very easily, even in cold weather. This is also key in making your batteries last. Cranking the engine for extended periods of time before starting not only strains the batteries, it also puts wear on the starter. Deuces start very easily unless something is wrong. Neither of my trucks turn over more than one revolution before starting.

Autocar

It still could be bad cables or dirty connections. A motor draws maximum amps on startup and draws less as the rpm goes up. The more amps, the more voltage drop at the motor so the slower it goes. As the motor starts to spin, the current drops so the voltage at the motor increases and the motor speed increases and so on. The motor would wind up just like you describe.

Seth_O

Go to tractor supply get cheaper battery I got farm equipment batteries with over 1000 cca for $75 or go to Costco and buy some good batteries for 80 you get 5 year warranty

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
which batteries did you go with from tractor supply?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a firm believer in using 6TLs. I've got two deuces with 6TLs installed. I never have a problem. One of the deuces still has the original 6TLs that came from the Army. They are now approaching 10 years age based on the date codes on the batteries and they appear to be as strong as ever. I always keep a 24V trickle charger hooked up to each and frequently check the electrolyte level, which should be done in all cases anyway. I also only use distilled water in the batteries. You can find Interstate 6TLs at lower prices if you shop around. Both of my deuces start very easily, even in cold weather. This is also key in making your batteries last. Cranking the engine for extended periods of time before starting not only strains the batteries, it also puts wear on the starter. Deuces start very easily unless something is wrong. Neither of my trucks turn over more than one revolution before starting.
When I lived in Colorado, my vehicle batteries usually lasted about 10-years. Here in the Arizona heat though, I am lucky to get 3-years out of them before they die.

Seth_O

To close this issue out: I replaced my bad battery and now the truck fires up almost instantly. Exactly the same behavior I was getting before. I still want to test it for voltage drop under load, but now that the truck is working thats a "nice-to-have" and will need to wait just a bit. Cheers to all who posted for your insight and help.

DavidWymore

Couple more things that weren't mentioned in this thread yet: how many volts is the alt. putting out? Batts might be good but alt might not be fully charging, or there could be a batt drain.

It's been said many times to check cables, but check ALL of them CAREFULLY. Check voltage drop and resistance (ohms) through them, take them off and check for cracked lugs, I've had them crack and then melt off. Don't forget the groud jumper to frame from alt. Cables sometimes corrode up inside the insulation or lug where it's not visible. This is why good cable lugs are soldered on and heat shrink tubing sealed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks