• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Wiring Question

panteraufo

I just picked up a HMMWV and already I have an issue with the the glow plug protection box (S3). The glow plugs cycle properly, however, I don't get any power to the starter solenoid through wire # 74A. I have 24 volts at 14B coming out of the neutral safety switch and power at PIN "A" but nothing to PIN "I" and wire # 74A. My question is: since the glow plugs are cycling properly, can I run a wire from the neutral safety switch (14B) to the starter solenoid (74A)? This would provide 24 volts to the solenoid when the Rotary Switch is in the 'start" position only and allow the starter to crank. Has anyone tried this approach? Thanks....

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it matters, but you should also include what model truck and what generator you have in order for us to know better what might be going on.
Have you checked to make sure the truck really is in neutral or park before trying to start it?

panteraufo

It is a 1995 M-998 with a 200 amp alternator. Yes, I did make sure that it was in park. It is a three speed transmission with the park paw. It is definitely an issue with the S3 glow plug protection box. Since the glow plus side is working properly, I am just trying to find a temporary fix for the starter side of the box. It seem to me that bypassing the box and running from the neutral safety switch to the starter solenoid is the easiest way to make the starting system work. Am I missing something?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks