• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter woes

ohfisherman

i have looked all over the threads and cannot find an answer to this problem. truck wouldn't start and assumed it was dead batteries. went to the garage to get the charger and the truck started turning over.ran over and got the cable popped off to stop the starter and noticed the fusible link was burning away. went into the truck and pulled the relay and then cut the link. went to the part store and grabbed up a new link and relay. put them in and still no start and the starter keeps turning over. pulled the relay and it stops. waited a few and went to plug the relay back in and as soon as i made contact it started turning over again. any ideas? i load tested the batteries and they are good. thanks for any help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like your relay contacts have "welded" themseves together. For now, Go get an AC40 relay, to replace it.

To test the relay to see if it is "welded", use an ohm meter and check for continuity between the two terminals that the purple and the purple with white stripe wires go(unplug the relay while testing). It should be "open" or have no continuity.

I suggest for a longterm solution, to do the "doghead relay" modification.

btw, which fusible link burned out? (color and location)

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I think you'll need to pull your starter and have it tested.

Before you pull it, test for 12volts at the red wire on the relay plug. It should get voltage, only when the key is turned to start.

Last edited:

ohfisherman

thanks for advice. of course the parts store orders me a 12v starter. went to a truck place up the street and got a 24v solenoid for $48.00 and put it on my old motor. hooked cables and went to put new relay in and it started cranking again. my mechanic was awestruck. i told him all it could be was a bad relay. brand new in the box and it was junk. i think somebody did the switcheroo on them. put n my extra relay and fired right up!! thanks again. just wanted to make sure i was on the right path.