• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter won't engage when gp's connected

richter1978

Just finished installing glow plugs, timing chain, water pump, injectors and injector pump. First primed to fuel filter with glow plugs and pink wire disconnected. Then primed injectors with pink wire attached and glow plugs disconnected. Next connected glow plugs waited for wait light, turned key and starter wouldn't engage it just clatters like dying battery! When I unclip glow plugs it cranks fine. I also noted a hot electrical smell. Any help would be appreciated.

Barrman

You have some wires hooked up wrong somewhere. Check out appendix F of the -20 and follow all the wires involved with starting and glowing to make sure they go to the proper place.

richter1978

Sorry, I forgot to mention '85 M1028. Thank you for the response Barrman. I took a look at the -20 everything looks good from what I can see. I need to add that the only wires/leads that were ever removed were the two greens and pink from pump and the 8 greens @ glow plugs all of these are back where they should be. I tried to start it again and the gp relay normally pops or clicks after the wait light goes out, this time it sounded more like an air-raid siren starting up.

Last edited:

mistaken1

It has been my observation that the glow plugs are not necessarily de-energized when the wait light goes out.

It could be something hooked up wrong or perhaps after priming with the starter and then the combined starter and GP load is too much for the batteries.

What are the battery voltages?

Did Advance Auto load test the batteries after charging?

SGT Estum

I don't know about the M1028, but for my M1009 the wiring diagram is not correct in the -20 manual. There's a wire it shows going to the wrong post on the GP relay. You search this forum for the corrected diagram... I know it's been posted several times.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the parts house load test your batteries also?

How many times did you crank the engine during the bleeding process?

From you description the batteries are weak or you have a loose/dirty battery connection.

The "MISTAKE" in the Glowplug wiring diagram is the small orange wire. It is shown to be hooked up to the terminal with the RED hot wire. It MUST be hooked to the other terminal with the two large orange leads.

Attachments

TCUCV

It sounds like everyone is loosing battery power everytime they prime their fuel filters. Wouldn't it be wise to prime filters, charge batteries and then try to start truck?

Luckily I haven't had to do this yet but by all the stories people are posting, it's not going to be fun