• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter wow's

REDWOLF

At first after i put the second new starter in the M1009 it started acting like i had a bad stop on the flywheel/ flexplate every once in a while. Then yesterday it did it like three times in a row and then again this morning after not doing it at all for a cple of weeks. It alwasy startes after the third time of hitting the key if not sonner. So now i am wondering if the starter is just not engaging all the way? Any thoughts would be helpful. Now also here lately i have lost some glow plugs so it takes a little more cranking to get her going. This is my only means of transportation so i have to keep the old girl in good running order. Thanks. ;-)

cucv1833

mine does the same thing. im on my 3rd set of starter bolts and just ordered the bracket to help prevent
this but i think the damage is already done on my flywheel theres alot of info on here i have been reading about
I didnt see any shims on mine. it starts normal 8 out 10 times.

kipman

Did you get a gear reduction starter?, when I replaced mine, that is what I used, about half the weight, cranks faster, no shims.

You can always pull the inspection cover off and rotate the flex plate/flywheel with a long screwdriver to see if it has a bad spot. When mine went, it had a few teeth broken off and was bent slightly, which was causing it to contact something in there.

If you have the stock starting system, be absolutely sure it's a 24V starter you have in there; 12V ones will work briefly, then the magic smoke will escape.

91W350

You absolutely have to have the starter end bracket on and tight or it is going to dance around on the bolts and eventually break them and/or the starter mounting ear off of the block. You may have a starter drive issue, but normally it is because the starter is moving on the bolts. It really does not take long to wipe those teeth out on that flex plate, they are not nearly as substantial as the starter ring on a regular flywheel.

My M1008 recently broke a starter bolt with the bracket in place. It made a horrible grinding noise when it hit the flywheel. The truck started, I drove it to work and I did not try to start it to come home. I had my son pull me home with the M1009. I pulled the starter to have it rebuilt and found that the inside bolt had broken. I got it out with a torx tool. Good luck, Glen

REDWOLF

Yes it is a gear reduction starter and i have the bracket for upfront installed and it is 24v.It has been in the truck for about 4-5 monthes now and until just yesterday and this morning rarley did it not mesh. It seams like it does it more often when the truck is warmed up and i get right back in and try to start it up.

91W350

I have no experience with the gear reduction starter in the 6.2, lots of experience running them on Big Blocks. I would imagine all the reaped benefits are the same. Some of these guys have much more experience than I do. I might have taken off the starter on a dozen 6.2 engines, none of the ones I worked on had shims. We will want to get that grinding stopped as soon as possible though, if you do not fix it right away, it will fail you when you need it most, at least that has always been my luck. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks